Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie: Hair spray help

Default Newbie: Hair spray help

So, I'm a newbie on here, and I'm looking for some recommendations for hair spray (or an alternative) that I can use between washings (every 2-4 days) and that won't leave white flakes. I searched the forums, but didn't see any recommendations. Please help!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Newbie: Hair spray help

I'm personally not a fan of hairspray. It tends to glue hairs together and when they rip apart, it takes a bit of the scales with them. What style are you trying to achieve?
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

I'm mostly just trying to smooth flyaway hairs and set my hair give a little hold for the ponytail or updo. It's pretty windy here and if I don't use something it looks like I just rolled out of bed.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There's probably not a lot of good hairspray recommendations on the boards since most hairsprays are pretty damaging to your hair. How about giving Kimberlily's defrizz spray a shot?

Thanks for the suggestion krissykins, I''l have to try that. I'm almost out of my leave-in conditioner, so maybe I can get double duty out of it? I also saw that someone was going to add honey or agave nectar to the mixture to get a little bit of hold, maybe I just need to experiment.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

That could work! I find that hairspray isn't that effective for reducing flyaways anyway. It just seems to make it drier in the long run.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    That could work! I find that hairspray isn't that effective for reducing flyaways anyway. It just seems to make it drier in the long run.
    Yes, most hairsprays contain alcohol. Just another reason to avoid them!

Length
    19''/28''/37''
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

For fly aways, I put a little bit of lotion in my hands and rub my hands together. Then I lightly run my hands over my fly aways. I use more on my ends and less near my scalp. It works pretty good. Or you could buy a anti frizz serum.

Length
    19''/28''/37''
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Read the post at the end by Sopotito about Swimming and hair protection. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=59459
    She mentioned the recipe Frizz Buster Gel in her post.

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I just read this on the "baby hairs due to ill advised trimming" thread. NOT MY WORK, i don't claim that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisDee View Post
    I have a similar "problem" with baby hairs all around my face due to additional growth stimulated by MN and Megatek. The way I keep them tamed is with the homemade hairspray I make. Take a large lemon, slice it, put it in a small saucepan with about a cup and a half of water. Bring it to a boil, simmer it for a couple hours. Strain it into a spray bottle, add a couple teaspoons of alcohol as a preservative, maybe some aloe and honey if you want for extra hold. It holds better than store-bought hairspray for me. A couple days ago I just re-cut bangs/fringe, and yesterday I decided to comb them back for an off-the-forehead look, using that spray to keep them back - and it worked! I've never had success with that method before using conventional hairspray. If you're just smoothing baby hairs back, maybe just a dab of aloe gel by itself will work just as well for you. Good luck!
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015