Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming and hair protection

Length
    22"/36"/37"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Default Swimming and hair protection

We have a mandatory swim unit in phy. ed. (ugh!) and I was wondering about the best way to protect/care for my hair. It is thick and waist length and tangles easily when wet. Unfortunately, swim caps are not an option- apparently our teacher doesn't allow them. We are allowed 10-15 mins to shower, dry, and get dressed again. This is much shorter than the ime it normally takes to shower/condition/detangle my hair after swimming, much less let it dry. Any hair protection tips or good tricks to keep it from tangling?
    LHC: The few.. the proud.... the vaguely creepy

Length
    -/waist/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Swimming and hair protection

Try some very coney condish before you swim and rinse it off as soon as you can. Wash your hair and maybe give it an SMT or some other deep treatment.

Cones help the hair tolerate hard enviroment.
    every hour wounds, the last one kills

layered waist - almost blunt waist - blunt waist - hip - terminal..
    (hennahead)

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Before you get in the water, jump in the shower and get your hair completely wet and pile on a coney conditioner, as deko said.

Then, I'd suggest doing two braids and tie those together with a few hair elastics. So, it will look like one braid down your back, but doing two braids will help it all to stay together and not get as tangled.

Hope that helps!
    From chin in March 2012 to APL in March 2013 and on to BSL in the future...

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnowflake View Post
    Unfortunately, swim caps are not an option- apparently our teacher doesn't allow them.
    I may be reading too much into it, but since you say apparently, is this something you heard directly from your teacher or is it hearsay? Could you say your scalp is sensitive to chlorine and the pool water would give you a rash? Something like that?

I very rarely go swimming but I got this: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sun-Sw...-Masque_16321/ and it didn't give me any problems. I wore a shower cap over the top but they are never really water tight and I'd rather protect my hair twice! If you can get hold of something similar it could be good.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnowflake View Post
    We have a mandatory swim unit in phy. ed. (ugh!) and I was wondering about the best way to protect/care for my hair. It is thick and waist length and tangles easily when wet. Unfortunately, swim caps are not an option- apparently our teacher doesn't allow them. We are allowed 10-15 mins to shower, dry, and get dressed again. This is much shorter than the ime it normally takes to shower/condition/detangle my hair after swimming, much less let it dry. Any hair protection tips or good tricks to keep it from tangling?
    Try club soda! If you read the report linked here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115, you do not even need to shampoo! It will save you time and you can shampoo and condition if you like at home.

How about oiling your hair prior and then wetting prior to jumping in, then CO-ing the oil with a non coney conditioner in warm water followed by a club soda rinse like Ktani mentioned?

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    How about oiling your hair prior and then wetting prior to jumping in, then CO-ing the oil with a non coney conditioner in warm water followed by a club soda rinse like Ktani mentioned?
    Oiling hair before swimming without a swim cap is going to pollute the pool water for sure and may be prohibited or discouraged. However, one could soak hair in club soda before swimming as well as after.

Type
    2a/C/iii

I used to put conditioner in my hair before swimming, but was admonished by a lady in the changing rooms who pointed out that it would pollute the water.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

When I swim, I find two plaits which I tie at the top and the bottom of the plait helps to prevent tangles. Also I agree with a very coney condish before you swim and rinse it off as soon as you can may also help or you could oil your hair, then put it in plaits. I also agree with maybe saying your scalp is sensitive to chlorine and the pool water would give you a rash. And a deep conditioning treatment when you get home.

Length
    chin/APL/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Try club soda! If you read the report linked here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115, you do not even need to shampoo! It will save you time and you can shampoo and condition if you like at home.
    Thank you for the advice and the thorough article Ktani!

I go swimming every sunday at my local pool and last time I tried to follow the instructions I had learned from this and other swimming/chlorine related threads here at LHC.

However, we do not have club soda here in Finland. After some research I found out that cub soda consists mainly of carbonated water and a mineral salt, for example sodium bicarbonate (which is the same thing as baking soda):

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...s_in_club_soda

So this is why I came to the conclusion that a mild baking soda rinse after getting out of the pool would be more or less the same than using club soda. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if the carbonated water really needs to be there as well.

At least the last time I went to the pool I had excellent results by using the following routine:
    1. wet hair in the shower thoroughly with tap water
    2. braid hair into two braids and tuck them inside a swimming cap made of silicone
    3. get into the pool and swim
    4. calrifying with very mild baking soda rinse (1 teaspoon into one cup (2,5 dl) of water
    5. rubbing 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil thoroughly into hair and sitting at tha sauna for about ten minutes
    6. shampooing with mild shampoo mixed with 1/3 oils (maybe olive, avocado and hemp) and a dash of ACV, strong rooibos tea and 100% cranberry extract (for the acidity).
    7. conditioning with a conditioner mix, into which I had added about 1/3 oils (I think sesame, almond and avocado?) and a dash of ACV, strong rooibos tea and 100% cranberry extract (for the acidity).
    8. plopping when soaking wet for 5mins, then finishing with Frizz Buster Gel recipe from LHC member Gladtobemum which contains 1 part coconut oil and 6 parts aloe vera gel.

-> I had wonderful, silky and soft hair that felt really moisturized and the curl formation was superb, with big fat clumps forming fairytale-like corkscrews! I loved it <3

But I'm still wondering about the baking soda... So please if anyone knows if I can replace the club soda with the mild baking soda rinse I would really appreciate your comments. Thank you in advance!