Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I left hair oil on my hair for a week, what will happen?

Default If I left hair oil on my hair for a week, what will happen?

At the longest, hair oil has been in my hair for nearly one week without being washed. Thats purely due to my laziness to wash my hair but I was wondering is it bad to leave oil on hair for that long, will the oil dry up and make the roots more weaker?

Because most people leave oil on their hair for a few hours and then shampoo it out or at the most leave it overnight and wash the next day. I feel like the odd one out, leaving oil for so long but if its safe, I won't worry however if it is going to damage my hair, I will have to wash it off like everyone else.

I told my mum this question too, her theory is that the hair will become greasy trapping sebum, dirt more easily if hair oil is left for too long.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: If I left hair oil on my hair for a week, what will happen?

I think your mom is right, you hair will attract particles, or rather retain them fairly well when covered in oil. I've left oil on my hair for at least 2-3 days on end, and never found any detriment, other than the aesthetic part, but I don't care about having greasy hair over the weekend
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by aenflex View Post
    I think your mom is right, you hair will attract particles, or rather retain them fairly well when covered in oil. I've left oil on my hair for at least 2-3 days on end, and never found any detriment, other than the aesthetic part, but I don't care about having greasy hair over the weekend
    Thank you. I don't care about having greasy hair at all since Im at home right now most of the time, its just that im lazy to wash my hair the day after, I want to wash the oil of but then can't be bothered lol. But Im going to try from now on to wash my hair more often or put less oil on my hair.

I sure hope my hair is not going to shed more, Im a little worried because I put Dabur Amla oil on my hair which contains mineral oil, and leaving it on for 6 days might make the oil even more difficult to wash out. And also Ive been going to the gym so right now my hair is pretty gross so Im going to have a wash today.

I left oil in my hair for several days.
    It did not harm it.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I left oil in my hair for several days.
    It did not harm it.
    Good to hear! I thought I was the only person on this forum who has left oil on hair for so long, thats why I was a bit worried because I never really hear of people leaving oil on their hair for more then 3 days. So im glad to know that im not the only one. I leave it on for more then 3 days every week.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Well i lightly oil my hair daily so oil in effect is in my hair 24/7 my hair has only benefited from this!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    BSL/~TBL/> TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I oil my hair after I've washed it, and then that pretty much sits there until my next wash, occasionally with a bit more oil the next day and so on. I haven't managed to stretch my washes to a week yet, though. But I don't think it could do any damage. As people have said, it'll attract more 'dust' and that kind of thing when it's oily, but otherwise, no problem as far as I know.
    Still growing!

Oh I oil for my hair after shampooing too and leave it untill the next wash!, I was trying to put those into words. I don't oil my hair everyday because the day that I do oil, I oil alot so my hair stays greasy everyday!.

As long as my hair doesn't shed and no damage is done, I hope I can continue with my routine!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It could become over-conditioned. I left oil on my hair for 2 days during a heat wave, and it was limp and dull after washing it twice. Plus oil does attract dust and lint.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

You're not the only one. I keep my ends under a coat of coconut oil most of the time and now I've been having coconut oil on my hair from the ears down for... almost 4 days It;s not the first time. I haven't noticed any harm. I planned to have little braids for a few days, hence the heavy oiling, but I ended up without braids. Oil has stayed