Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff

Length
    12 in/15 in/19 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Dandruff

I used henna but I am still getting dandruff, really bad too. What can I use to treat it without making it fade?

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Dandruff

I have not used henna, but I'm sure one of the lovely henna users around here can give you advice about avoiding fading. Though, from what I read, it doesn't not fade easily if it fades at all.

The things that have helped my dandruff are:
    - No silicones on my scalp
    - Shampoo bars
    - CO every wash, doing a Selsun Blue wash when it acts up

Right now I'm doing the conditioner only daily with weekly dandruff shampoo. This helps because it takes care of the dandruff without causing dry scalp. I stopped shampoo bars because of cost and annoyance factors, otherwise they were pretty good for my hair and scalp.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

My son actually has it pretty bad....I felt bad for him. You know going to school and being dandruffy is embarassing, plus I had it whe I was his age too. I went to the dermatoligst for mine. I don't want to use chemicals and I think you might want a chemical-free option, perhaps.

I didn't want to color my son's head red so I actually used cassia obovata. I took a video of it too maybe I should youtube it. hehe! now he'll really be embarassed.

But anyhow, I did cassia on his head AND it's important to wash your hair more often. Like every 1-2 days then. The cassia or even henna since you want red should be done, and then give it a bit of time with the extra washings, and you'll see it lessen. This also happens to babies heads..mine have had this. I just washed more often and brushed it all out and then it was gone.

So in the end my son's dandruff is now really under control. Much better. I hope this helps

PS plus also you can also moisturize with a few more hair oils. I forgot to mention that I did this on my sons' scalp. It helped a lot. It's change of weather time so it's normal too at this time of year, so just have to adjust your regimen a bit.

Length
    20/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I have dandruff too, and I *hate* it. I struggled for over a year to find a way to treat it without having to resort to special shampoos, but it didn't get any better. My scalp would get red, itchy, and I'd even get scabs (sorry, I know that's gross). I tried coconut oil, tea tree oil, extending washes, washing every day, scalp only washes, scalp massages....and nothing helped.

I finally caved and bought some Head & Shoulders, and after a week or so of CWC with it every 2-3 days, my scalp got significantly better. I also started using Nightblooming's Triple Moon Oil as a scalp treatment overnight before every wash, and I think that helps as well.

Mine seems to get worse the longer I go between washes, so I have to wash every other day or so...sometimes I can go 3, but the flakies start coming back around then. I also try to keep my hands off my scalp and not scratch. I still don't know what causes mine, but this has proven to be the best treatment for me so far.

I also henna, and haven't noticed any fading from the dandruff shampoos. I do deep oilings with Coconut Oil before almost every wash, and I ALWAYS CWC, so that might help...but I've never had any trouble with henna fading. I'm trying to get back to virgin hair, so I kind of wish I could figure out a way to get it to fade, tbh!

Hope this helps in some way! Good luck--I know how irritating dandruff can be.

Check out my Youtube Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/AutumnsMagic

Account Closed by Member Request

ACV rinses and cassia! No more dandruff for me!

A yogurt mask works really good. You have to be careful if you are sensitive to protein though.

Just rub yogurt onto your scalp and massage and let it sit for an hour or so (your choice). You can add some honey to make it moisturizing for your hair if you like. hth

Both sound really amazing. Yoghurt mask with honey, yum

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Well, i used to use giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo, but they have reformulated. So i will suggest adding tea tree oil.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

I have this issue as well. ACV rinses are AMAZING for dandruff and itchy scalps. One teaspoon in a large cup of cold water does the trick. Once you're finished showering and all that flip your hair upside down and slowly pour it over your scalp. Flip head up and pour the rest on top of your head focusing on the scalp.

Personally I still struggle with stretching washes and using ACV rinses often enough to combat dandruff.