Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect of Alcohol Consumption on Hair Growth

Banned
    Length
    Long/short/Long

Default Effect of Alcohol Consumption on Hair Growth

This is something I've been curious about recently. Do any of you think that excess alcohol consumption slows down hair growth? I would be interested to hear any of your experiences. I do like wine but I tend to be very careful to try not to drink excessively. However I know its very easy to be drinking more than you think you are. I've read about the negative effects alcohol can have on blood circulation and vitamin absorption. Just wondering if cutting back and maybe saving it for special occasions might help with hair growth. I've been making such an effort lately to eat healthily and exercise, I thought I may as well extend the healthy lifestyle to my drinking habits. Any thoughts?

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Effect of Alcohol Consumption on Hair Growth

I'm an occasional binge drinker. I get drunk about three or four times a year, normally during a celebration, and sometimes have a nightcap of whisky (a single shot glass worth, but at a leisurely pace), about the same amount of times a year. I haven't noticed any changes in my hair's growth rate, or health generally, besides the typical morning after feeling.

Length
    short/waist/hip
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Well, if you are not an addicted massive alcoholic, it should not affect seriously. The less the better although. Too bad I love drinking too. I'm a social drinker which means drinking at parties/social gatherings. I love almost everything: beer, wine, tequila, vodka...

Length
    buzz/pixie/pixie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I don't think there's been much research done on the topic. But to state the obvious, the less you drink, the healthier you are, the healthier you hair is.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Perhaps over time, with frequent consumption. I have a couple that lives in the next townhouse and they are career alcoholics, one in late stages of liver sorosis, and needless to say he is bald and her hair is thin and dry and just overall missing. They are in their mid-late 40's. It's very sad to see.
    Occasional drinking, I don't know. I hope it doesn't I like a few drinks every now and then.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I doubt that moderate alcohol consumption is going to cause any issues, so long as you are generally healthy.

On the other hand...people do scalp massages to increase blood flow and help hair growth...and a drink or three certainly seems to increase peripheral blood circulation. I dunno.

In any case, a couple decades of more or less moderate drinking doesn't seem to have done my hair in.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

As always, it depends on the person, but I can definitely see how alcohol would slow hair growth. I know that people have found before that cigarettes slowed their hair growth. (No need for the smokers to respond; cigarettes might not slow your growth, but I know others whose growth it has slowed.)

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I really think that moderate drinking probably does not affect the hair either way. The thinning hair seen on many heavy drinkers is likely to be a result of the poor nutrition typical of those who substitute alcohol for nutritionally sound food.

There is a (male) alcoholic in my family who still has really nice, thick hair. This person is what is known as a "high functioning alcoholic" and still eats well even though he drinks to excess.

As many scientific page write the alcohol can be healthy when comsumed moderately. So i think it can't be problem for your hair, while you know where is the border, and don't be drunk too often.

I dont know about alcohol but a lot of things do show up in your hair for months after youv used them (ie drugs - medicinal or otherwise).

Iv not read of anything like over drinking affecting the hair growth or shredding but it may have a factor connected to stress.