Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloe vera for thicker hair?

Length
    BSL/~TBL/> TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Question Aloe vera for thicker hair?

I bought myself some aloe vera gel yesterday, and today I used it in a conditioner wash. But before that, I googled it for some information (since I'm a google addict and all that ). I found some mentions of aloe vera being used to treat bald spots and hair loss and that kind of thing. Now I'm curious about what this means. Does aloe vera help the hair growth? Can it make my hair grow thicker or faster or something like that if I apply it on my healthy scalp?

Even if it doesn't, I'll still keep using it; it made my hair feel lovely.
    Still growing!

Length
    5 in/12 in/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Aloe vera for thicker hair?

That's interesting. I've been using aloe vera as a styling gel for about 6-7 months and I've noticed a lot of new growth and new little hairs on my hairline in front. Maybe it's the aloe vera? Hard to tell since that's the same time I gave up my hairdryer and started using coconut oil, too, but it does make a great styling gel! I've never thought to use it as a conditioner, but it does make my hair nice and soft and helps to hold my curl.

Length
    BSL/~TBL/> TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I mixed it up with my normal CO condish. I was a bit scared of maybe plain aloe turning to some sort of sticky mixture on my scalp if I only stuck it in there
    Still growing!

Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pagancat View Post
    That's interesting. I've been using aloe vera as a styling gel for about 6-7 months and I've noticed a lot of new growth and new little hairs on my hairline in front. Maybe it's the aloe vera? Hard to tell since that's the same time I gave up my hairdryer and started using coconut oil, too, but it does make a great styling gel! I've never thought to use it as a conditioner, but it does make my hair nice and soft and helps to hold my curl.
    It always amazes me when people say they use aloe vera for styling and that it helps their hair hold a curl... for me it's the complete opposite. It makes my hair so soft and supple that it just loses most of the 'natural' hold it had to begin with. I tried using it once before I pin curled my hair, and my curls turned out much looser than they would have if I hadn't used anything on my hair. It's strange how different its effects can be on different people's hair.

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Maybe making the scalp skin healthier would promote hair growth? I haven't really studied it, so I don't know.

I have used AVG by itself as a wash or leave-in, and in my diluted castille soap wash. It really helped my dry scalp after using harsh shampoo. I love how it makes my hair feel.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I don't know about growing, but the few times I experimented with AVG, it did plump my strands up a bit. I actually didn't like it at all, and don't use it any longer, but I certainly noticed a plumping, probably from the moisture?
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have read about that, but haven't tried anything. I tend to use it in my mixes like leave-in conditioner and hair cream.

I might have to start using it more on my scalp and see if it makes a difference.

Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

I used AVG as a gel for a while, and I don't think I noticed much of anything. Actually, I believe my hair has been thinning lately (though also not due to the gel.) I never had it on my scalp, though, so maybe that is why...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/mommyofatoz/hair/Newhairsigcopy.jpg

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

wow, I have a huge bottle of Aloe Vera gel and I guess I should start using it! My hair is thinning so maybe I should mix it in with my conditioner? Or perhaps apply it to my scalp for a bit prior to conditioning?

I would be very interested if it helps hair to be thicker.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

The only styling aid I use is aloe. I put quite a bit on after showering and it really helps my waves form and leaves my hair sooooooo soft. I have not noticed it helping with growth though. I mainly apply to my lengths so I guess I can't really say if it will help or not.