Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone suggest daily overnight oilings

Default does anyone suggest daily overnight oilings

trying to fix very dry damaged hair, wondering if coconut oilings every night will make a dramatic difference. what else can make a dramatic difference

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: does anyone suggest daily overnight oilings

NO. I would not recommend that at all. Too much of a good thing is not good either. 2 to 3 times a week is more than enough.

You can use just a little bit every night, but really a little.

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I did daily or near daily oiling with the coconut oil when I first switched away from cones and discovered how dry my hair really was.

I do think it helped quite a bit.

I was washing every other day at that point. I think I was oiling at night and washed in the morning.

I wore a ponytail or braid on the non-wash day because my hair was "heavy." Looked a little bit greasy? My scalp didn't look greasy but it did look like my hair was a bit damp, I guess.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

i do need to start washing my hair less often but i think the oil really helps i just didnt know if its safe to do and what others have experienced doing this. my hair is in lots of layers so i cant braid it yet. its apl and im trying to grow it even though i have recently bleached the crap oout of it and had to trim it a few times.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I oil my hair most nights with coconut or grapeseed. Barely anything though and only on the lengths. I recommend weekly SMTs. There is a thread in the herbal section. It's a very effective deep treatment.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    33.8/Hip/thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I oil over night as often as I can.My hair need huge amounts of coco nut oil. I´ve been doing this for many years and I will never stop doing it.In India it´s very common to leave coco nut oil over night.I can go days with the oil in my hair if I´m out in the country side for example.
    Lady Geshtai of the Blessed Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bsl/tail/34
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Yes i personally feel oiling regularly overnight has helped my hair. I was prone to dry thin hair before, but since oiling for the past year and a half ive noticed my hair looks alot more healthier. I do heavy oilings every other night then sleep with it on.

Length
    APL/29.75/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I lightly oil almost every night (heavy oiling is not for me) and CO-wash in the morning. My hair is dramatically softer!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Light oiling wouldn't hurt, but if you're oiling heavily every night, you're going to have to wash that much more extensively every morning. That adds up to a lot more harsh washing potentially than if you just oiled lightly and spaced out washes.

Put a drop or five of oil in your hair when it feels dry and seems like it needs it, but not enough to make your hair seem oily. I like to oil my hair right after I wash it, when it's still wet -- it seems to make the post-shower combout easier, as well as benefiting my hair with additional moisture. Only heavily oil before a regularly scheduled wash, and then try to CO or CWC the oil out. (Conditioner removes oil better than shampoo anyway.) Look at some other treatments for once-a-week use. SMTs are good. Some folks like soaking in mayonnaise for some oil and protein.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I often leave coconut or grape-seed oil in my hair for a few days and its really helped the condition of my hair. If your hair is damaged you could leave oil in for a few days and wear your hair up if its long enough?
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017