Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: epsom salt for hair growth

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default epsom salt for hair growth

I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I am currently using some epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) in my CO and water mix, letting is sit for 15 min or so while I do other shower things, then rinse. I started because I thought it might help with my itchy scalp, but then I read more about epsom salt and found out it is magnesium and sulfur - both of which (I've heard) is good for hair growth. So I thought I'd try. I have only been doing it for a bit over a week or maybe two, so it's really too soon to tell, but it seems to be growing faster.
    Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: epsom salt for hair growth

No - new to me as well. I would think long term usage of salts would lead to some dryness? And perhaps strip some colour? Have you experienced that at all? I've been looking at ways to get more sulphur, although admittedly looking for non-topical ways after a disasterous bout with MTG
    Please keep us posted as to whether to does help your growth or have any detrimental effects.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

It seems to me that, as aenflex pointed out, the salt would have negative effects (dryness, splitting, roughness) over time. Perhaps, however, if your hair retains moisture easily and is hardier than more fragile types, the epsom salt's potential positives might benefit your hair before its potential negative effects accummulate.

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

No, epsom salt is unlike other salts, it actually helps retain moisture, not strips it. That's (partly) why it's so nice for baths, it helps your skin be soft and smooth, not dried out.

ETA, my hair loves moisture, and has never been softer. It does get dried out easily if I use sulfate poos and such, which is why I CO.

Length
    chin/shldr/hips
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Hmmm...interesting. Keep us updated please!

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Checking in to say I'm been using about a tsp of epsom salt in my CO twice a week now for about two months. My hair has grown quite quckly (especially considering I was in a stall) at two inches in two months! I'm so excited! It is also really soft, shiny, and healthy. Less shedding in the shower too. My sister has also started using it, and says her hair is growing faster too!

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

wow, very very interesting !!

do you have any links regarding to this ??
    has it helped the itchy scalp too ?

Length
    shldr/APL/APL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Sounds like its done a great job on your hair! Always have thought your hair looks so healthy and glossy anyways i used to work as a sales assistant in a pharmacy and we'd sell this stuff in 1kg bags(people did say its a lovely bath soak) and its pretty cheap!

Account Closed by Member Request

Apparently, many mix ES with conditioner. As a label reader, I notice "Magnesium sulfate" in a lot of curl enhancing products.

I have conditioner, I have epsom salts, I think I shall try this! How do you combine? Crush the salt first? Trying to imagine big chunks of ES dissolving in conditioner, unless maybe it was very thin perhaps.