Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: epsom salt for hair growth

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: epsom salt for hair growth

Has anyone here done flotation therapy? It's really wonderful, albeit a bit pricey. It is super relaxing and the ES didn't seem to have much of an effect on my hair. I did this last weekend. I floated in an enclosed pod of warm water and epsom salt. My body felt nice and moisturized afterward, but my hair was super stiff and dry. I used most of a bottle of cheap conditionner and it was back to normal. I washed it another time Sunday, a regular shampoo and conditionner wash, and my hair feels very clean, soft, but a bit fly away.
    Last edited by prosperina; March 1st, 2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

This sounds very scary to me especialy with already dry hair, still I'm quite intrested
    are more people trying this out ?

I've floated a few times and it is so wonderfully relaxing. I've always worried a little about how it would affect my hair since the concentration of ES is so high in the tanks (hundreds of pounds in a relatively small amount of water.) After floating I've usually just rinsed really well and then followed with a CO wash in the shower at the float place so I don't take up too much of the shower time. My hair does feel somewhat dry after, a little fly away, and tons of body, but I haven't noticed any lasting ill effects. Then again, I can't afford to go regularly.

I actually have a float appointment later on this month, after finals. My hair has grown a fair bit and the ends feel more fragile then they did the last time I floated, but I don't think there's really any way to protect the hair. I might try a silicone swim cap and see if it helps.

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I dissolved sea salt into some water and mixed that into my conditioner then put the conditioner on dry hair and let it sit probably for about half an hour before washing out and it made my hair super soft. And it's still soft!! It's been I think two days? My hair never stays this soft for this long...

Anyway, that was with sea salt...but I do plan on trying epsom salt soon and see how it compares to sea salt.

I think epsom salts is just like any other salt on the hair. For some people (as seen in "beachy wave" hair sprays) it dries the hair out and makes it crunchy and unmanageable....for some people it makes the hair soft conditioned and curly. I wonder if hair porosity plays a role in this? I have extraordinarily over porus, bleached kinky 3c curls that are prone to tangling. I've never experienced dry hair from epsom salts. Then again I generally use heavy oils like perilla and castor oil when I do mixes like that to combat any dryness I may experience. I always see curls though.

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

What is the ratio of epsom salts to water that you use? And you did say you mix 50/50 conditioner and epsom saltwater to CO wash? I'm gonna try this a few times and see what happens - I'm all for anything that might promote growth!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I used to use Queen Helene Lavender bath salts - which is mostly epsom salt and some lavender oil - and I would do mermaid soaks in it because I loved how full and shiny and soft it would leave my hair after!
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Ok, tried it for the first time this morning. Mixed about 3 tbsp. epsom salts with about 4 oz. hot tap water, shook until dissolved. Then mixed equal parts of the ES water with conditioner, about 2 tbsp. each (that was all the conditioner that was left in the bottle), shook to mix. Used that mix to CO my hair. So far, I think I like it - it seems to have perked up my waves that I'd all but lost after I started with henna, and it seems pretty soft as well. It's pouring rain here today, so with the humidity my hair isn't quite dry yet - but the initial result is clean, soft and wavy. It would be beyond fabulous if I also get faster growth out of the deal!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Just a note for folks -- it may be called "epsom salt" but it's not really a salt in the way we think of.

Table Salt is sodium chloride.
    Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate,
    Sea Salt is around 85% sodium chloride and 10% magnesium sulfate with trace amounts of a variety of other minerals such as calcium and potassium, etc.

Just something to keep in mind when experimenting.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CrisDee View Post
    What is the ratio of epsom salts to water that you use? And you did say you mix 50/50 conditioner and epsom saltwater to CO wash? I'm gonna try this a few times and see what happens - I'm all for anything that might promote growth!
    I used about a tablespoon if es to my water and condish mix. I haven't done it in a while, I need to do it again!
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length