Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure thickness of hair?

Default How do you measure thickness of hair?

Apart from feeling your hair and visually seeing how thick it is, how do you actually measure if you have thin hair/normal/thick?

Ive measured my hair length but I want to measure the thickness now.

I have a measuring tape and right now I have my hair in a single plait and I put oil in it. I have read you can measure the diameter of the hair when its in a pony tail. I don't want to take my plait out since its neat and tidy so I want to measure the diameter of my plait, would that be accurate? and also I just oiled my hair so would that be ok to measure the thickness?

As you can see my "type" is empty and I would like to put something in
    Last edited by Dreamkitty; November 2nd, 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: How do you measure thickness of hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamkitty View Post
    I don't want to take my plait out since its neat and tidy so I want to measure the diameter of my plait, would that be accurate?
    Probably not exactly, but close. Wrap the tape around the plait as tight as you can, to squish out any extra thickness from the plaiting. If you're close to a dividing line between categories, you can remeasure later. Link to the categories, in case you don't have it handy.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Circumference (the distance around) a snug ponytail is the usual method. Squish out all the bulk from texture and air that you can.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I guess it's just sort of something you feel and see. If you have thick hair you'll know it. It's like having a lambswool carpet on your head. (In my case)

Banned
    Length
    Chin/SL/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Basically what Anje said.Is it good if you an 8 cm circumference ponytail?Just asking.Thanks Roseate for putting the link up in here.

Account Closed by Member Request

I've done a little experimenting with measuring thickness and I find that as long as I compress the plait/braid as snugly as I can, the measurement will be the same/close to the ponytail measurement. But then again, it is pretty easy to compress my hair because it is straightish and on the finer side so it might depend on your hair type.

To measure ponytail circumference, I put my hair into a tight ponytail and give it a twist or two to get all of the air out of it and to compress it more. Also make sure that you measure in the same place(s) for consistency.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mali View Post
    Basically what Anje said.Is it good if you an 8 cm circumference ponytail?Just asking.
    I'd say it's good if you have a ponytail. How thick it is is a matter of genetics and health, and what looks good is a matter of aesthetics.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

The ponytail method would be the most accurate but I suppose a braid circumfrence would give you a general idea on if your hair is thick, medium or thin.

Thank you for all the replies guys.

I agree with the poster that said you will know if you have thin or thick hair. My hair was always thick since I was born but I just wanted to test it with a measurement.

I did both measurements with a pony tail and plait just to see if there were any differences, I did it tightly as possible. I had 5inch 2mm diameter to be exact with both pony and plait (didn't make any difference) so I guess that puts me in the iii category. My hair was the thickest when I was 12-13 years old, Ive been looking at my old pics and I would say I would of been 7inch. I agree that a plait is a good way to see how thick your hair is, I remember my hair used to feel very heavy when I was a kid.

Im fine with the thickness but I would love to go back to 7inch or more. And if not I hope I can maintain it at 5inch because if I go lower, I would be dissapointed.
    Last edited by Dreamkitty; November 3rd, 2010 at 05:10 AM.

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I used a piece of heavy cotton string. I wrapped it around my ponytail till it overlapped, then marked the overlap with a magic marker. Then I straightened the string out and measure the distance between the two marks.

Make sense?