Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many oz of developer would I need?

Length
    Chin/17"/22"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Question How many oz of developer would I need?

I want to lighten my hair, it is currently a medium brown/red color. I am going to henna/manic panic it red a few days after the bleaching. I got the L'oreal quick blue bleach tub and oreor creme 40 developer. My hair is up to my nipple (Not sure how many inches). How many ounces of developer and how many ounces of powdered bleach would I need?

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: How many oz of developer would I need?

Quote Originally Posted by lifeis2evil View Post
    I want to lighten my hair, it is currently a medium brown/red color. I am going to henna/manic panic it red a few days after the bleaching. I got the L'oreal quick blue bleach tub and oreor creme 40 developer. My hair is up to my nipple (Not sure how many inches). How many ounces of developer and how many ounces of powdered bleach would I need?
    WHOAH. STOP RIGHT THERE. NO.

Okay. Do NOT use 40 vol. bleach. Return that immediately and get 20 vol. 40 vol. will burn your scalp and turn your hair to mush. I can personally recommend Clairol Pure White 20 vol. developer.

As far as ratio goes with the quick blue I've always used one scoop to about 35-40 ml. of developer. It should be like a thick frosting as far as consistency goes. Add a little more or less to get it right. You need as much bleach as you need. Keep mixing as you need it. Start with one or two scoops and when you run out, mix more until your hair is covered.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

What color red are you looking for? You might be able to get the color you want without bleaching first.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Length
    pixie/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I would advice you to first do a test on shed hairs from your brush/shower. My black hair goes white after 20 minutes with 30 vol. developer and coconut oil, and although I'm aware everyone's hair is different, 40 vol. seems too harsh to me.

Also, you should check this thread, it helped me maintain my hair healthy despite the bleach:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=10495

Length
    Chin/17"/22"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

My hair doesn't lighten easily so 40 was recommended and I bought online so returning would cost me more . Wanting a bright red like so: http://hair-craft.co.uk/files/red-hair_0.jpg ,, http://www.amazon.com/Oreal-Oreor-Cr.../dp/B000A3V2Q8

Length
    Chin/17"/22"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Thankies for the link it's not working at the moment though but hopefully it loads later... I don't think I'll need to leave on the bleach or that long though right? Cuz since I'm going for red not blond so it'd be okay if I just let it get Orange? After bleaching I am planning on doing deep conditioning and only CO. I have O Jon deep hydrating conditioner, the deep repair oil, and herbal essence hydralisous reconditioning conditoner. I have tired dying it red in June and then July but it didn't work much at all, natural color is dark brown. Oh and does it have to be coconut oil or can it be vegetable oil also?

And I def. don't blow dry/use heat on my hair

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Dear Lord, no !!!! No !!! No !!!!
    I own two salons. I mean this with complete respect, but you obviously do not have experience bleaching hair if you are asking how many ounces you will need to mix together. 40 vol developer is meant for trained professionals. And it can still have tragic results for hair and skin. You should not be using it. At all.
    Last edited by UltraBella; November 2nd, 2010 at 12:49 AM.

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

With the coconut oil vs. vegetable oil question- it needs to be coconut oil.

I've never worked with bleach or developer, I always went to a salon for chemical colors. There’s just way too much that can go wrong.
    While I’m not advocating you use such a strong developer, my thoughts are- instead of doing all your hair why don’t you put in some bright red streaks? You’ll only need to lighten a portion of your hair i.e., only a portion will be damaged.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    Dear Lord, no !!!! No !!! No !!!!
    I own two salons. I mean this with complete respect, but you obviously do not have experience bleaching hair if you are asking how many ounces you will need to mix together. 40 vol developer is meant for trained professionals. And it can still have tragic results for hair and skin. You should not be using it. At all.
    Yes. This. Cut your losses and save your hair. Head to Sally's and pick up some 20 vol. if you feel you must do it yourself.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I would suggest going to a professional, but if your set on doing it yourself definitely do a small strand test first to see what your results are. Better to find out if your hair can't take it on a small piece rather than on all of your hair.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind