Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you don't trim your hair-what will happen?

Default If you don't trim your hair-what will happen?

At the moment, I don't have any split ends and my mum always helped me trim them, but the last time she trimmed away 2 inches of hair .

I keep thinking that if I keep trimming my hair, I will never let it grow long. Whereas If I don't trim at all, my hair can grow longer.

Is not trimming bad for your hair?

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: If you don't trim your hair-what will happen?

Well, define "bad." It's bad if you want long hair - the quickest way to get long hair is simply to not cut it - at all. That being said, however, sometimes a trim is the best idea, such as when growing out a super-short pixie and you need to de-mulletize to preserve your sanity, or when growing out damage and the ends look just awful. But if you have a healthy head of un-dyed, un-heat-styled, carefully treated hair, there's really no reason to trim, IMO.

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

I just kept hearing that trimming your hair makes it healthier and grow faster, so I thought maybe I should trim. Ive never dyed my hair, used any products. So I would be happy if I don't trim and my hair still stays healthy and thick, I just want to get every inch I can get as I am close to APL.

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Ooh, I'm envious of your length - I've been growing out a super short pixie for over a year now, still can't get it all in a ponytail.

If you really think about it, that old wive's tale of "trim to make it grow faster" has absolutely no basis in reality. Once hair leaves the folicle on your scalp, it is dead. There is no physical way that trimming hair that's several inches (or feet!) from your head can have any ability to make the folicle produce hair more quickly. Again, that being said, many people's hair grows unevenly, quicker in some spots, a bit slower in others. So your hemline can get a bit ragged looking after a while. Some people prefer a thicker, more blunt hemline, so occasional micro-trimming can give that effect. But I saw a video the other day where a stylist recommended trimming 2 inches off hair every 8 weeks! Considering that on average, hair grows half an inch per month, that's trimming off all the new growth plus an inch! At that rate, you'll eventually be bald!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

As long as you don't have splits or velcro ends, you probably don't need to trim. The issue is that if you do develop splits, and you don't trim, they could cause excess breakage which will then slow your progress towards your target length, or give you lots of taper.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I'm seconding (thirding?) the no real need to trim if you've got healthy hair without splits.

I'm one of the lazy ones who just doesn't think to trim (and even if I did, I'd probably forget why I walked into the bathroom for scissors...) but even when my hair was trimmed regularly by my aunt when I was in school still, I didn't notice a real difference growth wise.

Also, it depends on what kind of hemline you like - do you like the blunt ends, where they're straight across and even, or do you like the slightly raggedy, piece-y look that the untrimmed ends can get? After a week or two, the pretty blunt look seems to start getting piece-y again.

*Note: "Raggedy" is in reference to my own hair (and coined by my mom because if I don't brush it right away when I wash it I look like a drowned street urchin.) Just figured I'd mention that so no one gets offended needlessly.

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

A lot of people around here trim twice a year, or once a year. Some people don't trim at all. Part of it depends on whether you want a blunt, full, beautiful hemline or if you like the beautiful taper and romanticism of fairy tale ends. That is a personal preference. (I hope I put both of those options in equally postive lights because all hemlines choices are equally valid and wonderful.)

If you can go longer between trims it would definately help how fast you increase length. If you like fresh ends you could do microtrims. Just a bare minimum snip. There are as many methods of trimming as there are LHC members, you just have to work out what feels right to you! Best of luck!
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

If you don't trim your hair, after a while you will develop fairy tale ends.

There are some people who don't allow scissors to touch their hair; there are those who don't trim, but do snip off individual split ends ("search & destroy"); and there are people who prefer to trim regularly and keep their ends blunt.

Check out the No Trimming Club in my siggy for more info!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I think a lot of it has to do with hair type. Some people can go a very, very long time between trims. I have to trim regularly, albeit tiny trims, or my hair gets very raggedy. Being so straight and fine, my hair shows every little bit of unevenness, which I personally don't like for my hair. I don't have any splits either, by the way. It's the unevenness that gets to me, and if I don't trim, my ends sort of trail away.

Other people with medium or coarse hair, or with some wave or curl, may not feel the need to trim at all for a year or more.

We're all different, and I think you can just let your hair grow until it "tells you" that you could do with a trim.

Also, if and when you feel the need for a trim you could always try Feye's Self-Trimming Method. I can trim as little as a quarter of an inch with that method.

I might add that it would be helpful if you filled out your hair type in your profile, so we could give you advice that's more on target for you specifically.

Length
    SL/23.5"/30"
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Nothing will happen. Your hair will just grow longer if you don't have any damaged ends.

And, like FrannyG said, hair type is also a factor. Some with coarser hair can go longer without trims, while finer hair may not be able to, but this is ALL conditional upon how you care for your hair, regardless of hair texture.

Curl also is a factor. Hair with lots of curl and kink latches onto itself sometimes and causes peppercorn and fairy knots. I know if I don't trim and fail to detangle my hair, my stray lengths will wind itself around other hairs and cause knots I otherwise have to cut off. I trim regularly, but I try to hold out as long as I can between them.
    <--FYI, the avatar is me, just wearing a wig, my protective style of choice