Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair always gets greasy for half the time between washes!

Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Default Hair always gets greasy for half the time between washes!

Hi everyone,! Im a newby here, this is my first thread so i'm hoping that some people reply.

I was just wondering if anybody else has the same problem that I do with my midlength-long naturally oily(ish) hair. I am always experimenting with my hair, and when I used to wash it every other day at school, it would get greasy every day (half the time before my washing day).
    A year ago I experimented some more and started washing only once a week. This did stretch the "good hair" days out to about 3 and half days, providing I didn't touch it. Again it was about half the time before I would wash it.
    Now I try to go every 4 - 5 days washing it, and it gets greasy about every 2-3 days... again, half the time between my washes.
    It's so annoying! Does anybody else have this problem? I would love the have that 3 and a half days I had when I was washing it once a week, but not have to have the greasyness as well!
    Does anyone else have hair like this? Or any tips on what I could do? I'm almost about to start using baby shampoo to make the cleansing milder, which will hopefully cut down the oil production, but comments would still be really helpful, thanks!

Default Re: Hair always gets greasy for half the time between washes!

I have an oily scalp too but the only thing that works is using a sulphate shampoo every day (I simply cannot stretch washes....my scalp rebels and it's nasty). Basically what I'm trying to say is don't feel bad....maybe you just can't stretch washes. Since you mention school I'm assuming you're fairly young. Could the oiliness be from hormones/puberty?

Type
    3a/M/ii

What stopped my hair from feeling greasy was henna. But not everyone wants the color.

Welcome to LHC!
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Type
    2a/F/ii

Hello roseshmose, welcome to LHC!

I used to have greasy scalp to the point where it would get greasy 6 hours after I washed it, it was horrible and stretching washes seemed impossible. Right now I can go for 5 days without washing and be ok but that took me a year to achieve. The way I managed to do this is by using milder stuff to wash my hair and by dealing with adjustment periods where I had to keep my hair up or wear a hat while my hair got used to being washed more seldom.

Some options you might want to consider: sulfate-free shampoo once a week and Conditioner Only washes or dry shampoo in between to keep the hair fresh. Generally any option that is not a SLS or SLeS shampoo can be considered, since those are the harshest and tend to provoke the scalp into rebellion. Articles that talk about that:
    - Why Shampoo Can be Hazardous to Your Health,
    - Your Shampoo May Be Hazardous To Your Health

Good luck in your hair journey!

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Hello, and welcome to the LHC.

You and I have exactly the same problem, and I'm sure lots of others have, too. I did use to wash my hair everyday until about a year ago. Now I wash every 4-5 days. Regardless of what type of shampoo I use or how often I wash my hair, my hair always gets greasy on the 3rd day.

You said that as long as you don't touch the roots of your hair your hair doesn't get greasy as often? That is what I do to prevent anymore unwanted oil from traveling down. I can't say if washing your hair less frequently decreases oil production - I don't have back-up for that. I agree that you might want to consider milder shampoos, but that depends how you'll like it. Not combing the roots is the only way I have managed to keep my hair less greasy after the 3rd day. I think that's OK. Not everyone can manage to go for 1 week. I recommend washing when you need to.

Length
    12/14/20
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Hello and welcome! I am a relatively new member but I wanted to share.

I also have/had greasy hair. Here is how I have been stretching washes. First I went to a sulfate free shampoo and then moved to conditioner only washing. I had a problem with my scalp getting a little smelly so I refreshed it with a spritzer bottle of lavender water. (Boil 8 cups water for 10-20 minutes, add 10 drops lavender and cover for 20 minutes to steep).
    It took a minimum of 2 months for my scalp to adjust. I can currently go 5 days without washing and I usually end up needing to wash more because my hair is getting tangly and the curls are getting limp instead of because of grease. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase so I don't have to touch my hair so much the next morning.

Also I can never wet my hair in the shower on days it is not being washed...total oil slick.

I hope some of my suggestions work for you!

Length
    12/14/20
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Also, and I am not sure if this is a fact, but I found baby shampoo to be HARSH! I used it once on my hair and it was awful. I wouldn't recommend it.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by white.chocolate View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the LHC.

You and I have exactly the same problem, and I'm sure lots of others have, too. I did use to wash my hair everyday until about a year ago. Now I wash every 4-5 days. Regardless of what type of shampoo I use or how often I wash my hair, my hair always gets greasy on the 3rd day.

You said that as long as you don't touch the roots of your hair your hair doesn't get greasy as often? That is what I do to prevent anymore unwanted oil from traveling down. I can't say if washing your hair less frequently decreases oil production - I don't have back-up for that. I agree that you might want to consider milder shampoos, but that depends how you'll like it. Not combing the roots is the only way I have managed to keep my hair less greasy after the 3rd day. I think that's OK. Not everyone can manage to go for 1 week. I recommend washing when you need to.
    Yes scalp stimulation in any form can cause more sebum to surface that includes massages, combing, brushing, touching of the scalp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marykatz View Post
    Also, and I am not sure if this is a fact, but I found baby shampoo to be HARSH! I used it once on my hair and it was awful. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Very true.

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by newbeginning View Post
    I have an oily scalp too but the only thing that works is using a sulphate shampoo every day (I simply cannot stretch washes....my scalp rebels and it's nasty).
    Ditto. I also have tried not washing my hair.. even for one day, my face breaks out, is a greasy mess, my hair is a gross mess.. I have SO many more problems with everything if I don't wash it every day.. regular oiling and using regular and leave-in conditioner help stem any dryness that may occur.. and make my hair smell good.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by marykatz View Post
    Yes it is indeed very alkaline as a shampoo, hard to believe I know but once, years ago I dyed my hair darkest brown but it came out the blackest black and it was totally matte in appearance too, I called the dye company helpine and the lady on the other end said to use head and shoulders, Vosene OR baby shampoo. Tried the H&S and not much lift but the Baby Shampoo I found in the bathroom cupboard worked like magic. Really dried out my hair and scalp though. So yes, I would agree with the above that it is misleadingly strong. so for the original poster, it would be a wise shampoo to avoid as if you dry out your scalp it will over produce oil. Best of like some of the others have said to treat it really gently.

Good Luck