Thread: My Henna Head

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default My Henna Head

I've been using henna in earnest since mid-2014. Henna is one of my must haves for hair care because the the amazing positive effect it has on my hair even though I don't always care for the henna neon orange glow. The colour is a lot nicer after oxidation and saturation for my hair which is naturally dark with golden highlights and now about 20% grey. I started with Rainbow Henna Persian dark brown and actually got a bit of burgundy after 2 back to back applications. However, the results were short lived so I set about learning as much as I could about henna. It wasn't long before I was using straight henna on a regular basis then tweaking with cassia, indigo and/or hibiscus either as a 2-step, single mix or gloss.

My henna of choice is Zenia, the only brand I've used since Rainbow. I just recently purchased from Henna Sooq (Canada) so will be trying their red raj henna as soon as it is back in stock. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to henna preferring to add nothing more than warm filtered water then cover and set aside in a warm spot for the dye release. When I get a good stain on my thumb, I either use the henna fresh or freeze for later use. If I'm using indigo or hibiscus, I mix them separately wait for dye release then mix into my henna for a 1-step OR if doing a 2-step I do the henna first, rinse out then apply the indigo or hibiscus. While indigo cannot be applied without henna, hibiscus can and will give a lovely deep red depending on how long it is on the hair. I also use cassia for those times where I want the effects of henna but not the longer timing. It just seems to strengthen my hair and give a nice gloss without having to wait for dye release or a long application time.

For those wondering, within the first couple of henna treatments frizz was almost a thing of the past for me. That was a huge benefit for me! However, like many have reported my wave pattern has loosened also not a bad thing for me. However, I am not 100% certain it is from the henna alone although I'm sure it plays a large role. Both length and taking MSM are likely contributing factors to the loosening wave pattern. In my experience, you can get a good burgundy with repeated henna up to saturation but new growth and greys always show the neon orange until oxidation. Indigo pushes the colour towards the black tones while hibiscus deepens the red and a combination of both help to get to the burgundy quicker. Of the 4 herbs that I use, indigo is my least favourite because it tends to rub off on my hands but even that isn't as bad after a few applications. I don't use Amla which can make henna a bit ashier because it enhances curl/wave pattern.

Also, I have not had a problem rinsing henna/henndigo from my hair. I don't use any conditioner to help remove, just simple rinsing with luke warm water. Once the henna/henndigo is fully rinsed out, I use a little leave-in conditioner, wet bun then leave to semi-dry before removing the bun and letting fully dry. I do not shampoo for 48 hours but I do oil my ends during that period.

So that's my henna head. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: My Henna Head

How long do you leave it in your hair?

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I leave 6 to 8 hours when doing a full henna only. When I do a 2 step - henna followed by indigo, I leave the henna for 3 to 4 hours then rinse and apply the indigo and leave that for an hour. I usually leave a 1 step hennidigo for 3 hours and a gloss for 1 to 2 hours. HTH

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Thanks hennalove!

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have fallen in love with Zenia, granted it's the only one that I have tried. I just henna'd my hair for the first time two or three weeks ago, and loving the results. I used Zenia's henna and cassia to get more of a natural red tone, and it came out exactly how I wanted it. I did use chamomile and a hint of lemon for mixing.
    Do you have any tips for getting the dye to release easier? Or what might make a good warm place?
    Find me at the beach or springs wishing I was a mermaid
    SL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CLASSIC - FTP - KNEE

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by floridaorchid View Post
    I have fallen in love with Zenia, granted it's the only one that I have tried. I just henna'd my hair for the first time two or three weeks ago, and loving the results. I used Zenia's henna and cassia to get more of a natural red tone, and it came out exactly how I wanted it. I did use chamomile and a hint of lemon for mixing.
    Do you have any tips for getting the dye to release easier? Or what might make a good warm place?
    Zenia is a really nice henna with a fine sift for a smooth mix. The way I do a dye release is to mix with warm filtered water to a yogurt consistency. Cover then wrap in a towel and sit near a heat vent or in summer/FL outside out of direct sun. Dye release usually takes about 3 hours. I mix then freeze which actually makes the dye release stronger. On henna day, I remove from the freezer and set in warm water until thawed then mix well. It works every time with a nice strong dye. HTH