Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cinnamon for hair growth a myth?

Length
    <bsl/waist/hip

Default cinnamon for hair growth a myth?

My dad was going bald and he bought a bottle of cinnamon extract or oil (Im not sure which one) and applied it with a cotton ball to his scalp. He now has 70% regrowth. He swears by cinnamon now.I bought a bottle of cinnamon extract to try out for myself.Has anyone else tried cinnamon for hair growth?

Length
    Bob/BSL+/TB
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jezebel17 View Post
    My dad was going bald and he bought a bottle of cinnamon extract or oil (Im not sure which one) and applied it with a cotton ball to his scalp. He now has 70% regrowth. He swears by cinnamon now.I bought a bottle of cinnamon extract to try out for myself.Has anyone else tried cinnamon for hair growth?

I haven't heard this, but be carefull as there was a thread a while back about cinnamon lightening someone's hair. I don't recall which kind she was using, and/or if the extract or oil does this or just the ground cinnamon.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I think it was just ground cinnamon in water that someone accidentally lightened with?

Cinnamon oil should be a stimulant of blood flow, so this does have some logic. After a couple minutes of googling, it looks like there is a big difference between the leaf oil and the bark oil. Leaf oil is good, bark oil is bad.

Assuming leaf oil, it should still be avoided during pregnancy, as with many EOs. And high doses could cause problems.

I would tread lightly and dilute it heavily with a carrier oil.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    <bsl/waist/hip

I tried googling it too but didn't come up with anything interesting.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default cinnamon

Cinnamon contains peroxide.

It has not been reported to lighten hair much on its own.

In the Honey thread, added to a honey lightening recipe it has been reported to enhance honey lightening quite a bit.

However, cinnamon is a major skin irritant - so is the oil - not because of the peroxide content - because of cinnamic aldehyde - a constituent of the oil.

Caution is advised - cinnamon irritation has been reported frequently - the effects have been temporary so far but they can be painful - red, sore skin.

Length
    <bsl/waist/hip

thanks for the warning. I'm going to start using it only twice a week and see how that goes.

Default cinnamon

Here are links I have posted in Honey

The irritant in cinnamon, is according this this link, cinnamic aldehyde a constituent of the oil. Hydrogen peroxide is not mentioned.
    See both "Cinamomum" and "Cinnamomum cassia"
    http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/BotDermL/LAUR.html

And in this one, other constituents were named as well but again, no mention of hydrogen peroxide.
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00015

In Honey - I recommend adding cinnamon to room temperature only chamomile tea for honey lightening with honey to preserve the peroxide in it and for the tea to counter cinnamon irritation - chamomile tea has been known for that and has been reported to do that in the thread.

If you do not want lightening at all - try adding the cinnamon to the tea - just after it is brewed - the boiled water should destroy the peroxide in cinnamon or boil the cinnamon on its own before using it to destroy the peroxide in it.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added link and text

Default cinnamon

Ok, this is from a site here

"HAIR LOSS
    .... people suffering from hair loss or baldness .... following paste .... found to be effective: In warm olive oil, mix one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon cinnamon powder, make a paste .... apply before taking a bath. Leave on the scalp /hair for around 5 ―
    15 minutes, .... then wash the hair."

http://www.leaflady.org/honey.htm

Even if it does not work for hair growth, and I have no idea if it will or not - leaving the mixture on your hair for that length of time in my opinion (the honey is not diluted, so it will not produce peroxide) - use it on dry hair, uncovered - you will not get lightening from this recipe.
    Last edited by ktani; May 28th, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Type
    2c/M/ii

I think I know the stuff you're talking about. My man used this stuff called 'sinnamon' (with an s) for awhile to see if it would help with his baldness. It didn't, and he didn't like the smell so he stopped using it.

In any case, the stuff he used is supposed to be a traditional Indonesian remedy for baldness, I think. It had a long ingredient list, and the cinnamon in it was indeed an extract (without further specification).

Iris
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    <bsl/waist/hip

I applied some of the cinnamon extract on a small area where I have some thinning last night and so far I have no irritation.
    these are the ingredients in the formula:cinnamon extract, vitamin e, D-panthenol and natural oils.