Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh please help me calm down... Hair emergency!

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Oh please help me calm down... Hair emergency!

Can you ask your doctor about Stelara? When it launched, we had patients come in and talk to our company (Johnson&Johnson) to share their stories about how well it worked for them. It really changed some people's lives. I'm not sure if you need to be at a certain severity or not. It's one shot every quarter if I recall correctly.

Good luck!!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I assume this is past the point where steroid creams can control it?

Well, I was going to tell you that not too many people typically get side effects, but the alopecia rate in this one looks pretty darn high.

One thing that's worth considering is that the term "alopecia" tends to refer to hair shedding, not specifically to developing bald patches (alopecia areata) or going entirely bald. So you might just end up with a somewhat smaller ponytail, but nothing particularly noticeable except that you start being able to do intricate buns a bit sooner. Especially since you're on a low dose.

Do make sure you've fully explored your topical options before you go to a systemic drug. But if the psoriasis is bad, you may need to use something like this to get it under control, then can explore less drastic options for the long-term.

Also, are you prepared to avoid getting pregnant for at least 3 years after you go off the Soriatane? It looks like this stuff is NASTY to developing babies. If you plan to have children any time soon, you may want to reevaluate.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    .5/16"/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have had my tubes tied, so I don't plan on having any more children. It is severe. I would say at least half of the skin below both knees are covered. It is painful. I have started the medication. I am being closely monitored with this drug, and have blood work done this week. I have tried herbals, and topical creams with some help but it is just taking up so much of my time trying to make it better and it isn't working. I only plan on taking this until I can get better insurance, then getting on Enbrel or something less drastic. I will ask about Stelara. The only reason I am taking it is because it really is quite painful and I want to get it under control. Thank you Anje for the great info, and I really do hope you are right!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I can definatly relate to you! I have chronic hives which is also an autoimmune skin disorder and it was terrible for over 5 years. Finally my doctor perscribed an immune suppressant called "cyclosporine". He said that it is very effective for autoimmune problems and commonly perscribed for them. The side effects are numerous but quite rare for otherwise healthy people. It worked so well that I haven't had hives since starting it. The best part is that the most common side effect is increased hair growth . I have definatly noticed that my hair has been growing faster and even thicker. I would definatly reccomend talking to your doctor about it if your current medication dosen't help.