Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: Toadstool shampoo and conditioner -- has anyone tried these?

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Toadstool shampoo and conditioner -- has anyone tried these?

Quote Originally Posted by NaClH2O View Post
    My 2 cents... I have noticed the feeling of needing to clarify my scalp around every 1-2 weeks while using her shampoo. I feel that this is normal for soap-based shampoos (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)...? Take note I only use the shampoo on my scalp, not the rest of my hair.

Regarding the flaking issue...., don't really know what to tell you. I have not experienced this issue. Perhaps you need more moisture? Do you use a conditioner at all? How often are you washing? I find myself only using these products every 2-3 days for reference. My routine - I use Toadstool shampoo (or HeartJCreation shampoo on Etsy, an Aloe-based product), Goats milk conditioner, and follow up with Toadstool's leave-in conditioner.

I would consider my skin to be fairly sensitive, and I have had no issues with her products. (I have noticed my hair is much lighter and wavier without using cones though.) I'm sorry you are having such trouble!

Maybe you would do better with her Unscented shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    I generally rotate Toadstool products with other products/routines. As NaCIH20 indicated, buildup is BAU for any soap-based products. I find that using a non-soap-based soap on occasion resolves that issue.

As for the scents breaking you out, a.) I'm sorry to hear that and b) I'm not surprised. The fragrance oils are man-made. I second NaCIH20's suggestion to switch to the unscented variety. She also makes her products with peppermint essential oils, which may be an option for you at some point.
    I think it was just time for me to switch routines. I wasn't really liking how my hair was looking and feeling anymore, and so I switched to good old fashioned Pantene. Voila, I like my hair again. I've kind of given up on finding things that don't irritate my skin. I figure as long as my hair looks good, I can tolerate being itchy a little while after a wash (seriously, it goes away within 30 minutes).

Toadstool is DEFINITELY my go-to shampoo for the summer months though. It worked wonderfully!

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Hello Toadstool experimenters!
    I've read most of this thread, over the past few months. My birthday is around the corner and I'm SO tempted to order some things. However I'm also part of the 'use up your stash challenge' thread... so I really shouldn't order stuff. So conflicted haha, is anyone still using these/ used these for an extended period of time? Also if I ordered just a leave-in, does the smell usually stay around (which I would prefer) or does it disappear once it's dry? Any thoughts on the deep conditioner? I have super fine hair and it likes moisture, my favorite deep conditioner is no longer available in stores (Pantene Beautiful Lengths). Could anyone suggest whether to try the leave- in or deep conditioner? Or about the shampoo, does it make your scalp/hair as clean as regular shampoos? I like SLS to get my hair clean, and my scalp can get pretty oily (daily washer) but I have also done CO extensively for a while, does it feel similar to CO, or slightly cleaner? Also if anyone could tell me what they think of these scents, as they are the ones I'm most interested in:

Frangipani
    black vanilla
    dragon blood
    turkish mocha
    honey bee
    milk & honey
    mermaids blessing
    abalone sea glass

I'm not really a floral-y fan, I love vanilla, so if you think any of these are good please let me know!

Length
    20/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I'm still using the toadstool products. I'm allergic to artificial fragrances, so can't comment on any of the scents you have mentioned. She only has 2 scent options that are made with only pure essential oils instead of artificial fragrance, so I've been using those. The 2 versions made with essential oils are Peppermint and Patchouli. The Patchouli is a strong scent and it lingers for days. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it has kind of grown on me. I use the Peppermint most of the time and Patchouli only occasionally. I use the shampoo and the leave in. I bought the Deep Treatment too, but it doesn't really feel like a very deep conditioning produce to me, so will probably keep buying biolage matrix instead for the times I want a Deep Treatment, or do an SMT. The shampoo does a good job of cleaning my scalp, and it lathers nicely for an SLS free natural shampoo. I use the Toadstool leave in as the first step in LOC after my shower. My scalp used to be very oily and I used to be a daily washer with SLS shampoos, but since learning so much about hair care on LHC, I've been able to stretch my washes to only twice per week now, and it looks nice and clean the whole time.

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by DKSABS View Post
    I'm still using the toadstool products. I'm allergic to artificial fragrances, so can't comment on any of the scents you have mentioned. She only has 2 scent options that are made with only pure essential oils instead of artificial fragrance, so I've been using those. The 2 versions made with essential oils are Peppermint and Patchouli. The Patchouli is a strong scent and it lingers for days. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it has kind of grown on me. I use the Peppermint most of the time and Patchouli only occasionally. I use the shampoo and the leave in. I bought the Deep Treatment too, but it doesn't really feel like a very deep conditioning produce to me, so will probably keep buying biolage matrix instead for the times I want a Deep Treatment, or do an SMT. The shampoo does a good job of cleaning my scalp, and it lathers nicely for an SLS free natural shampoo. I use the Toadstool leave in as the first step in LOC after my shower. My scalp used to be very oily and I used to be a daily washer with SLS shampoos, but since learning so much about hair care on LHC, I've been able to stretch my washes to only twice per week now, and it looks nice and clean the whole time.
    Thanks DKSABS. I'm still on the fence of wanting to order, but also wanting to not add more to my stash. Do you think the shampoo has helped you stretch washes specifically, or just in addition to other changes? I'm thinking about maybe trying the shampoo as I think my current kind is irritating my scalp. Have you had any problems using the shampoo with a different rinse out conditioner? I have some with cones that I'm trying to use up, I guess if I clarify occasionally it will be ok?

eta: I might just try unscented or the peppermint... as much as I love to smell nice, I break out when I use fragrances on my body (and sulfates, not sure if it's one, other, or both), and I'm starting to wonder if fragrance free shampoo/conditioner would make it even better...
    Last edited by amanda_the_tall; November 13th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

Length
    20/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

You're welcome, amanda_the_tall. I don't know if the shampoo has specifically contributed to my being able to stretch washes or not. Other things that I know for a fact have helped with stretching washes include sleeping with my hair in soft foam rollers every night instead of sleeping with it loose where it could get flattened and greasy. The Shabo cosmetics powder that I've used to hide my thinning hair areas also seems to work like a dry shampoo to provide volume at the roots and keep the hair from getting greasy. I rarely ever use a toadstool conditioner in the shower. I've been applying a cheap conditioner (Suave, or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, or matrix biolage) to my length before applying the shampoo. Haven't ever had any problems using these conditioners with the Toadstool shampoo. Hope this helps.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Bumping this thread! Thanks for all the information on her products!

I usually alternate between shampoo bars and citric acid rinses and conventional shampoo and conditioner. I am interested in getting a toadstool shampoo when my stash runs out (I have a lot of conditioner left currently).
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

I came across toadstool while browsing etsy and remembered this thread. Definitely making an order for her shampoo, leave in, shea butter, and a roll on perfume. I couldn't decide on a scent though, so on payday i'm getting her 5pack perfume sampler. Once i know how things smell, i'll be able to decide. *Patiently waits for payday*

I was using Toadstool for awhile. Then for some reason decided to go back to cones. But recently I've been having scalp issues (dry scalp around the hairline, but I've also had painful acne pop up as well...ugh). I didn't have these problems when I was using Toadstool, so I'm going to give it another go.

Length
    pixie/apl+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Bumping this thread!

My bf and I's 9th (!!!) anniversary is coming up and he asked if there was any special hair-specific stuff I wanted. I've been considering trying her shampoo on and off for a while now, so I figured I would take the plunge.
    Question: Has anyone used her shampoo with WCC? It looks very rich, so I'm wondering if conditioning twice with it would be overkill, even though my hair is prone to dryness.
    Pixie ---> Chin ---> Shoulder --->CBL ---> APL --->BSL --->Waist

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I ordered a leave-in conditioner, Fairy Dust scent. So far I'm not crazy about either the consistency or the scent. I thought it would be thicker! It's just slightly thicker than water. I've never had a leave-in that was so thin! And the scent didn't live up to my expectations, either, it's just kind of a mottled, indistinct scent - not unpleasant, but not what I expected and I wouldn't order Fairy Dust again. The bottle is a good size, I think it's going to last at least a year. So far though, I do like the effects on my hair, I feel like it makes my hair smoother and thicker than my old leave-in did (Garnier Fructis Sleek and Smooth). Overall though, I think I prefer the leave-in I ordered from CARIBBEANSCENTS on Etsy over both of them! If that seller had more scents and larger bottles, I never would've even thought of ordering from Toadstool, I would've stuck with that one and ordered a new one when the old bottle ran out.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee