Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine for hair growth

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Iodine for hair growth

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I get the impression the OP means topical iodine as opposed to supplementing it.

Isn't it the stuff surgeons smear on the skin to sterilise it? Orange/brown liquid. I'm wondering if chemists might sell it, i think it's included in the ingredients of a either dettol or savlon spray too (though not a good idea on the hair i expect).

I'm interested in this idea, is anyone going to try it?

By the way, that's amazing growth.....i'm assuming your friend must be quite short?
    topical iodine still is still able to get into the blood stream, which is my main concern.
    And yes traditional iodine is a brown/orange colour also known as betadine but is pure not mixed with other stuff as with detol etc.

I am curious to see if anybody gets any results with this, but as i said before id be very cautious and maybe even seek medical advice prior.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Banned
    Length
    chin/27bsl/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/M/i

Okay so I asked my friend and she said de-colorized iodine. She said she only uses 2-3 drops per recipe she makes. And she said it is not necessary. She is 5'3. Slim. I did more research and I saw the Arnica one. I was actually thinking of trying that....Gosh I don't know what I will do , but IF i try this I will definitely keep you all posted. I am going to try and go see my doctor Monday. I have 3 nurse friends and they confirmed that is is used for hair loss, BUT its toxic if used too often.

I tried monistat and my hair grew just a bit then stopped completely which is why i stopped using it. I also mainly stopped using it because I had the worse migraines from it.

P.S. Thankyou so much jojo for all your input. I really appreciate you sharing it with us all.

Length
    28/40/...
    Type
    1a/F/i

You can also up your iodine intake by just spreading it on your skin and let it fade. Actually, the time it takes to fade is some kind of homemade test of... probably thyroid-related but I don't remember at the moment.

I don't think this would be dangerous unless you have a problem with iodine on its own.

I have too much protein as it is (or maybe just not enough moisture?) so no egg for me, and my hair HATES coconut oil, so none of that either. I've been playing with shea butter.. might try that, jojoba or grapeseed, and iodine. I still have a whole bottle left because I wasn't putting it on my skin like I was supposed to.

But please ask your friend - didn't it dye her scalp? What about color change?
    Lady Nox of the Spiraling Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    LHC: the few....the proud....the vaguely creepy
    my hair photos

Length
    28/40/...
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by evampr18 View Post
    I tried monistat and my hair grew just a bit then stopped completely which is why i stopped using it. I also mainly stopped using it because I had the worse migraines from it.
    Hah! I thought I was the only one getting headaches! I'm not so strange after all! THANK YOU!!!
    Lady Nox of the Spiraling Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    LHC: the few....the proud....the vaguely creepy
    my hair photos

Banned
    Length
    chin/27bsl/tbl
    Type
    1c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by podo View Post

But please ask your friend - didn't it dye her scalp? What about color change?
    She uses decolorized iodine. And yea, those head aches were not fun. lol
    Last edited by evampr18; October 16th, 2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: mistype

Length
    10.5/23.3/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by evampr18 View Post
    She told me that she has done it since she was young and she will cut her hair to her bra strap, then, 4 months later it is tailbone again(I am witness to this). She told me she thinks its this recipe of hers. If so, I want some of that cake if you know what i mean. P.S. I am hesitant because I know Iodine is TOXIC.
    out of curiousity, as it's toxic if used too frequently, how often does she use this recipe? daily, couple of times a week, weekly?? I'd be interested in trying this for a couple of months for a boost, but I wouldn't be willing to do this for a very long time or permanently.
    Last edited by trolleypup; April 2nd, 2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fixed bbcode
    Lady Finnula of the Celtic Cross in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Shaved-BSL-Sldr- BSL-Blunt Bob-BSL(23.5) - Goal 1: MidBack - Goal 2: Waist- Goal 3: Classic - Goal 4:Who Knows?!

Length
    bob/bob+/??
    Type
    1c/M/i

Hello all! I supplement with much, much more than the RDA of Iodine (Lugol's formula) each day before eating. The truth is that many Americans are deficient in this mineral so it requires some super-dosing to get up to normal levels. Please, do your own research on this and ask your doctor, but I have been "super-dosing" for several weeks now and my hair has definitely shown some improvement in both thickness and growth. Also, I seem to be losing weight a bit easier. I was slightly - hypothyroid before, though.

I have never thought of using the iodine topically, on my scalp, but I may lower my internal dose and try that soon!

Thanks for all the interesting input on this topic!

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    topical iodine still is still able to get into the blood stream, which is my main concern.
    And yes traditional iodine is a brown/orange colour also known as betadine but is pure not mixed with other stuff as with detol etc.

I am curious to see if anybody gets any results with this, but as i said before id be very cautious and maybe even seek medical advice prior.
    Is taking kelp dangerous too then?
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Type
    3a/M/ii

I've been taking Lugol's solution for a few weeks. I noticed a change in the texture of my hair on my scalp; looking in the mirror on Saturday I found out that I have a lot of new hairs (the ends are curly, that's what I felt).
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    10.5/23.3/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I've been trying this for the past few weeks, so far no bad side effects and I think it's helping a little bit. But I've only been trying it topically once a week, so I'm going to eventually do a trial of 3x a week during Lent and see if it makes more of a difference then. Will post in and let you all know
    Lady Finnula of the Celtic Cross in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Shaved-BSL-Sldr- BSL-Blunt Bob-BSL(23.5) - Goal 1: MidBack - Goal 2: Waist- Goal 3: Classic - Goal 4:Who Knows?!