Thread: Shower filter?

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Shower filter?

My parents bought shower filters for every shower in the house. We have pretty hard water in my area, but this should make it soft, right? I've heard you should use less shampoo and body wash on yourself when your water is softer? Is this true?

I've always washed in extremely hard water, so I've pretty much always had to use a ton of shower gel and shampoo just to get a lather. And if I didn't, I didn't feel very clean.

Length
    calf/tb/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Shower filter?

Yeah with soft water your shampoo goes a lot further. I live in a fairly soft water area and I stayed with a friend who lived in a hard water area and I had to use twice as much for it to foam up! It's crazy the difference it makes!

Length
    22"/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

We have hard water too, with filters on each shower. A shower filter doesn't make the water soft. I think you only get soft water if you have a water softener that adds softening agents into the water. A shower filter on hard water just makes it less hard. I have found that the products go farther and my hair feels better when the filter is working well, but not like with soft water where you don't feel like it is rinsing out easily. I have to replace our filters more often than the instructions say, though - like every 3 months rather than 6 months.

If you are concerned about how your hair feels or looks, i highly recommend doing an ACV rinse with a high ratio - i did 1/3 cup ACV and 2 cups filtered water. Pour it over your hair, coating all of it, after shampooing. Leave it on your hair for about 3 minutes, then rinse and condition. This made a huge difference for my hair! I do a lighter ACV rinse pretty regularly, but will do this demineralizing rinse once a month or so to combat all the minerals that get into hair (i don't think filters remove everything completely).

Certified Organic, Cruelty-Free, Safe Cosmetics Certified skin care products!!! NYR Organics

Length
    25/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hi! I realize this is an old thread, but I just bought a Rainshow'r filter and I swear it has made a difference in just a week! My water is so icky, and my hair already feels much softer. Thought I would share this - it was surprisingly inexpensive and easy to install.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I wish I could use one of these on the dorm showers! Haha the LA area has notoriously awful water, and I think it's beginning to affect my hair, both the color and health. Fortunately I don't live here, just go to school here, and I get to go home (back to better water) in a month.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee