Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing long hair, but not just to cut it off!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/23/25
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Growing long hair, but not just to cut it off!

Rant -

I just spent 2 hours on Facebook with an acquaintance (who used to own a styling salon) explaining to him that I would not look good with short hair and that I wouldn't like the maintenance of it either. He wants me to grow my hair really long so that he can then cut it really short, like pixie short.

Why is it that some stylists are so adamant about cutting your hair short, even when you tell them all the reasons why it wouldn't work for you? (Caveat: I did have really short hair at one time in my life. Loved it at the time, hated the maintenance and the growing out process.)

He seemed to think that me letting him cut my hair really short would free me, and be some sort of transformative process for me. I couldn't convince him that it would just not be 'me', and that I am perfectly happy now with my hair long. I already like myself, just the way that I am.

- End Rant.

Kimberly

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Growing long hair, but not just to cut it off!

When I tell people the reason I'm growing my hair long is for spiritual reasons, they never argue with me and try to get me to cut it. If I think they can be trusted with more detail, I will say that I have something specific that I have been praying about for a long time and growing my hair long is a kind of demonstration that I don't intend to give up on this particular prayer request until I get an answer. So far, that has worked really well to get people to keep their ideas about my hair to themselves.

Length
    18.5/36/37
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I like your reason for growing your hair out Honestwitness. I hope your prayers are answered! (though, I don't know if I want to see you cut your hair, it's beautiful!)

I think reasons that people can't argue with are helpful in dealing with the 'why don't you cut it' question.
    ~Lady Scheherazade, Keeper of the Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I would have ended that conversation in 2 minutes, not 2 hours. Tell him no means no and you like it long and that's the end of it. He can't be much of a friend if he harassed you for 2 hours. Tell him to find someone else. He sounds like one of those haircutting freaks.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    18/23/25
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I would have ended that conversation in 2 minutes, not 2 hours. Tell him no means no and you like it long and that's the end of it. He can't be much of a friend if he harassed you for 2 hours. Tell him to find someone else. He sounds like one of those haircutting freaks.
    Yep, I will say I was beginning to think that after a lot of what he said tonight.

Since he was someone who I initially met via work (he came in via a consulting gig previously to give us some training), and I was trying to get some work advice from him, I was trying not to burn bridges. But by the end of the conversation tonight, I was about ready to end even the work relationship with him!

Length
    18.5/36/37
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

That's frustrating Kimberly! It sounds like this particular acquaintance really likes the act of cutting hair...

I have a sister who has repeatedly grown her hair to bsl and then chopped it off to give to Locks of Love. Since I started growing my hair out, that has been the question my family has asked me. I think when they see me at thanksgiving that's the question I'm going to hear the most... I might just have to wear it up all weekend!

btw I loved when my hair reached the top of my tank top. It was a great feeling! woohoo! And your hair looks beautiful and healthy
    ~Lady Scheherazade, Keeper of the Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Length
    18/23/25
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Desertgirl,

Thanks! It's not as healthy as I would like it to be, since some of it still has highlights that have been covered up with color. But I try not to do too much heat styling and I use deep conditioner on it pretty often, so that helps.

Yes, it did strike me that he really likes the act of cutting hair. Which is funny, because he was also saying he was a supporter of really long hair, and that he rarely advised women to go really short with their styles. That, I think, is a bit of a contradiction given the way that he was talking.

Oh, well - at least ranting on here helped me calm down. :-) Thanks, everyone!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I sort of understand where he is coming from; I used to grow my hair out just to cut it as short as possible again. The major, drastic change was really fun for me. I loved how it felt going from long hair to super short, lightweight hair not to mention all of the compliments I got from friends. I have come to the same realization that you have though- long hair is just eaiser to maintain and looks better on me. I think stylists (like so many people) have been drawn in to the stereotype that really long hair is "too long" and "unkempt looking". Also they are really up to date on the latest cuts and think that it benefits everyone to keep up on "the latest style" no matter how trendy and impracticle.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Pixies don't work on a lot of women, simply because of face shape, skin, or facial features. IMO, in order to pull off a pixie, you need 1) clear skin, 2) a small face, and 3) delicate facial features. Otherwise, you will probably look silly with one.
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Length
    Chin/SL/BSL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I would have ended that conversation in 2 minutes, not 2 hours. Tell him no means no and you like it long and that's the end of it. He can't be much of a friend if he harassed you for 2 hours. Tell him to find someone else....

What she said.