Thread: My First SMT.. or something like that :p?

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Default My First SMT.. or something like that :p?

So this weekend I wasn't doing anything very important so I thought, HEY, why don't I do a new treatment for my hair? I already have coconut oil, and I was staying at my parents' house. My mom had an aloe plant and a little bottle of clover honey. So I decided to do a treatment, which I thought was an SMT.. I didn't have any instructions, I winged it, and as I read now it's made with conditioner rather than coconut oil.. oh well .

So I heated up some coconut oil, took a few leaves of the aloe, cut them in half and knifed off the gel into the oil. Then, I squirted some honey in. I don't really measure.. that's how I cook and it usually turns out okay, so I figured what the who. I smothered it on and wrapped it in saran wrap, and put a towel on my head to keep it warm.. and then took a 3 hr nap .

I shampooed the scalp, conditioned the length, and then conditioned all of it again.. when I got out, I found it was still a tad too oily (I DID smother it on heavy), so I went back in and conditioned once more and it was all out. The results? My hair felt like SILK, without any product in it! I couldn't stop touching it! I took a picture and the shine is wonderful. That was Saturday and it's still soft even today after another shower. I'm a very happy girl right now .

I'll add a picture later, it was taken on my mom's camera so I have to get it from her which I will later tonight. Just wanted to share my experience! Woo hoo!
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: My First SMT.. or something like that :p?

sounds lovely !
    I would rather do this then the one with conditioner ... I do use one now and again, but I rather do acv rinces so I don't always have conditioner at home ;-) coconut oil I do have as a staple LOL

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Sounds like a great treatment! I know lots of folks put oils into their SMTs, so it makes sense that it would work without conditioner too, especially if your hair tends to prefer oils to water-based moisture like conditioners. The nice thing about the SMT is that it simply rinses out (unless you get those snotty clumps that people occasionally complain of), while heavy oilings can take a bit of effort to get out.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I usually add coconut oil to my "SMT"s. I put "SMT" in quotes because my hair doesn't like aloe (it leaves a waxy residue feel) so I leave that out and often add glycerin and the coconut oil to the honey and conditioner. It's a pretty altered SMT and doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to the original. If your hair likes it, it likes it.

Maybe next time though, you could add conditioner so that you don't have to do the extra rinse to get the oil out. I only do one rinse to get my coconut oil SMT out.

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I sometimes go for coconut oil in my SMT's it does make hair feel lovely

Im a bit like you, I go for measurements by eye and chuck whatever I have in the house, my adapted SMT's usually work out alright

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Next time I will havbe to try adding the conditioner . That is, if my mom lets me butcher her aloe plant any more. Not like she does anything with it anyways.
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"