Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair wrapping - ok to do every night?

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Hair wrapping - ok to do every night?

Is there any harm in doing this every night? I discovered this a couple months ago - tried it, and am absolutely LOVING the way it's coming out! For the first time since I got my hair hacked off, I actually like my hair! I've been showering before bed, COing my hair, then wrapping my hair in a stretch satin scarf for the night. In the morning I take off the scarf, run a wood quill brush through it, and it looks just like it looks in my avatar! But is there any chance this could somehow be damaging to my hair? Like maybe wrapping it wet every night could dry it out or something?

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair wrapping - ok to do every night?

Doesn't sound damaging at all. In fact it sounds like it has the same benefits of damp bunning.

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    Doesn't sound damaging at all. In fact it sounds like it has the same benefits of damp bunning.
    Agreed.
    In fact, you've inspired me to try this!

Length
    Chin/MB?/CLSC

I've been wanting to try this but I wasn't sure how it would come out! Do you have to use pins or anything to keep your hair in place? How big is your scarf? Thanks!

Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I use this one from Sally Beauty. The site says it's 30" square. My hair is UBER slippery, so the only way this works is when it's fresh-out-of-the-shower wet. I tried using clips, but they left dents in my hair, so I just brush (wood quill brush) the hair round and round my head until it sticks; hold my breath so it doesn't move, grab the scarf, fold it in half into a triangle, and tie it as quickly as possible before anything falls or flops. I also do a trick I saw in one of the videos, where you then spin the scarf around on your head, in the same direction that you wrapped the hair, to smooth out any pieces that may have gotten a bit out of place when tying on the scarf.

I remember "back in the day," when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there were no blow-dryers - a trick that curly girls used to use to partially straighten their hair was to set it on very large rollers, some even used orange juice cans. I guess the wrapping method, in effect, uses your own head as a giant roller!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I love doing this too. It makes my hair shiny looking as well as straightened. This only thing I would say to think about is the amount of brushing you are doing when wrapping your hair. I have brittle hair that has been abused somewhat so I keep brushing to a minimum these days. Your hair looks very healthy I guess you don't have to worry about brushing. Do you do it like me and wait until its very nearly dry?

If you heat straighten your hair then this is such a good substitute.

Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I cut off all my chemically colored, heat damaged hair last year. I've been growing it back out for just over a year now. Switched from chemical dye to henna, kept it short til all the chemical color underneath had grown out.

No, I can't wait til it's nearly dry, it would never stay - my hair is very fine and slippery. I wrap it as wet as possible. The "brush" is a wood quill brush, not one with bristles - a comb would work just as well, but I love the way the brush feels on my scalp

Length
    APL/29.75/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Man, this is almost enough for me to start showering at night... I just tried it with dry, BSL hair and it didn't work so well. I'm definitely thinking about trying this technique soon!

Length
    buzz/TBL/long!
    Type
    3a/F/iii

My mother straightened my hair, when I was a little girl, by wrapping it around my head wet-- she used big bobby pins, though. Your way sounds much more comfortable for sleeping!

Length
    ?/34/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I read about this the other day and went searching for some videos on you tube. I must not be searching right, because I didn't find anything for long hair. I also can't imagine how long this would take to dry.

One video I did see (on shorter hair) was using pantyhose with cut off legs to hold the hair in place without pins. I just can't figure out how to do the wrapping part and am wondering how long I would have to leave it on for it to dry.

Can anyone point me to some tutorials you've found?