Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to cut long layers

Length
    16.5/37.4/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: How to cut long layers

Quote Originally Posted by Oskimosa View Post
    I had to resort to a different, much more time consuming method but I am very happy with the results.
    Different than mentioned in this tread? And what is your method if I may ask?
    You are all decorating my world
    It looks beautiful!

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

This is exactly how I cut my own hair. I started doing this in August and I've cut my hair this way three times now (once just this morning!!) and I love the look it gives.

When I did it the first time I cut only an inch at a time, afraid I'd chop into my length. But, while bending over, I grabbed a strand of my length from the nape and followed it down over my head to it's end and found I had a good 4 inches or more before I'd hit my length. So, the second time I cut it, I cut about two inches off. And just today I cut another inch or so. I think I've still got another 2.5-3 inches before I reach my nape hair ends, but I rather like to cut it inch by inch every few days so I can see how it appears dry before going at it again.

But, I really like the way the layers look with this method. I don't use the ponytail, however, I just bend over and comb all my hair over my head and secure it between my index and middle finger (like stylist's do when cutting hair) and snip away. Maybe next time I'll try the ponytail; I'm just worried it will somehow make some hairs uneven.

Does it work better to do this method with dry hair?
    From chin in March 2012 to APL in March 2013 and on to BSL in the future...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I always have someone cut it dry. My wavy hair's much easier to cut dry. Goes for layers, and blunt cuts. It is always combed, then brushed out for this purpose, though.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Thanks for this aisling! I've been looking for a definitive explanation on cutting long layers for the last few days, and here your thread is! I just tried this, after separating off the lower part of my hair, and just trimming the section from my ears to the front. I was worried about losing length!

In any case, I really like it. I hope you put up an article, too, as it's handy to have and I'm sure would help a lot of people.

I love your hair and your hemline, so I'm hoping mine looks similar (although it's shorter). I'll try to take a picture soon.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    .../31/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

love love LOVE this kind of layering! It's really flattering if you got that bit of wave in your hair. The best part about these layers is that they can be cut without eating into your length. Totally recommend this.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I put a picture in my albums showing after I did the haircut. It isn't the best picture - my hair is a bit oily - but I really like the cut!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks, Aisling for giving these instructions! Just what I've been looking for!

Type
    2a/M/iii

I was going to grow out my layers, but the front of my hair does not look good all one length. Since my hair is a little on the poofy side, when my hair is all one length, it looks like an A shape. I need to cut more layers again.

I posted on here about a year ago cutting layers in my hair using the ponytail method, and I started the ponytail on the top of my head. I ended up cutting my length too short because I kept messing with it because some of the layers did not look right. I am flat broke right now or I would go get my hair cut by a pro, but since I have no money, I am going to do it myself. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Another reason I want to do layers is to cut some of this henna out. I cannot decide if I want to go back to my original brown color or not. I love the henna but hate having to dye it every few weeks to cover up the roots. I wish there was an easier way to dye my hair.

One question though, when you pull all your hair into a ponytail on top of your head, do you need to first part your hair down the middle, or do you just brush it straight up into the ponytail?
    Last edited by Olivia23; April 10th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Finally at BSL!!! Now aiming for waist!
    Lady Olivia Protector of the Sacred Rose in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia23 View Post
    I was going to grow out my layers, but the front of my hair does not look good all one length. Since my hair is a little on the poofy side, when my hair is all one length, it looks like an upside down A. I need to cut more layers again.

I posted on here about a year ago cutting layers in my hair using the ponytail method, and I started the ponytail on the top of my head. I ended up cutting my length too short because I kept messing with it because some of the layers did not look right. I am flat broke right now or I would go get my hair cut by a pro, but since I have no money, I am going to do it myself. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Another reason I want to do layers is to cut some of this henna out. I cannot decide if I want to go back to my original brown color or not. I love the henna but hate having to dye it every few weeks to cover up the roots. I wish there was an easier way to dye my hair.

One question though, when you pull all your hair into a ponytail on top of your head, do you need to first part your hair down the middle, or do you just brush it straight up into the ponytail?
    DON'T put the ponytail on top of your head! : I made that mistake the first time I tried this technique and it made for some strangely placed layers.
    What worked better for me was to put the ponytail on my forehead, right in the center. (yes, you want it all going in the same direction into the ponytail, no parting)

Also, when doing the actual cutting, it helps to snip the hair a small amount at a time, otherwise you end up with choppy/chunky/weird layers... ask me how I know . (and when cutting in layers, you might consider starting by cutting only a few inches at a time, to help you decide how long/short you want them)

What I do now to trim my layers is start with the forehead ponytail, and separate out a 1/2" section from the part of the tail closest to my face, clip/tuck the rest out of the way and trim that section, take out another section and trim that one, etc. It makes for a much cleaner end result.

Hope I wasn't too preachy, I just wish someone had told me all this before I did it the first time.
    Good luck, I'd be curious/interested to see your results!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by morecowbell View Post
    DON'T put the ponytail on top of your head! : I made that mistake the first time I tried this technique and it made for some strangely placed layers.
    I've had my hair cut like this lots of times (now growing the last layer out). The layers are a little choppy, chunky... wonky even, true, but it never bothered me. Those ponytail cuts are especially nice for real wurly, curly types, I guess. They get lousier the less wavy you are (and I'm only slightly wavy). I'm certain 1s are better off with a more accurate method.

I guess hairtyping matters even for something like this.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)