Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to cut long layers

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default How to cut long layers

My intention is to turn this into an article, as I couldn't find one on the topic. Before that, I'd like feedback, do you understand this? Should I include something more?

This method is based on several methods that people have mentioned here on LHC or linked to, thanks to them for the ideas. It is suitable for longer hairs, waist+ length I'd guess.

You'll need a good scissors, comb, a hair elastic and a mirror (preferably two to be able to check out your hair in the back).

Start by detangling your hair properly. Then bend forward and comb your hair over your head towards your face. Gather your hair to a ponytail just at your hairline, right above your forehead. Then stand up straight, grab that ponytail with one hand and the elastic with another. Carefully slide the elastic toward the end of the tail, while you keep the ponytail straight out and away from your face. Don't slide the elastic all the way down, stop a good bit before your reach the ends. Grab your scissors and cut the ends straight off. I'd recommend to cut about 4-6"/10-15cm, no more, this will probably not (hopefully not) affect your length but create some nice long layers. If you want a heavier layering, you can cut one more time.

When you've done the cut, take out the ponytail and assess the result. In my case I decided to continue with the shaping, I used the first step of Feye's self trim method to create an U-shape. I felt this was needed to make the layers look more finished and it made the layers blend in better. In this step you really don't have to cut much, just take off 1-2"/3-5cm to soften the "edges".

This is how my hair looked some weeks after the trim:

Length
    10/28/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: How to cut long layers

Isn't 4-6 inches a lot to cut off with this method? And this will pretty much cut the length as well if any of it is in the pony tail, but it's definitely a good way to get long layers, but maybe just by trimming 1-2 " off for starters.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Maybe you could include some diagrams/photos to show what you mean with the ponytail postition as you pull the elastic out.

I don't see how it would affect the length since your nape is more than 4" from your hairline. Not all your hair would get cut.

Maybe also add in a note on how to maintain these layers incase anyone tries to use this method to maintain?
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I would be absolutely terrified to try this on myself !!! I have layered hair and I just can't imagine trying to do it on my own. You are brave

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ellen732 View Post
    Isn't 4-6 inches a lot to cut off with this method? And this will pretty much cut the length as well if any of it is in the pony tail, but it's definitely a good way to get long layers, but maybe just by trimming 1-2 " off for starters.
    I think what is happening is you're cutting off 4" of the top layer, so it shouldn't affect the overall length.
    Almost there!

Length
    21in/26in/32in
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

eek! 4-6 inches is a lot especially for me, but i do ultimately want a U shaped hemline and maybe some layers cut into it so i'm going to keep this in mind until im at waist i think

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Juneii View Post
    I think what is happening is you're cutting off 4" of the top layer, so it shouldn't affect the overall length.
    Yes that's right. Your front hairline is more than 6" away from your nape. You should be able to see how much it would be before you do any cutting. Make a few test pony tails. It's really not all that much hair being cut. It's not like you made a ponytail 6" up from the bottom and cut it.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

This type of method worked just fine for me at apl. I don't think one would need to wait until waist to do this if they want these type of layers.

It looks great on you aisling!
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Type
    1b/F/ii

If you cut just 1-2 inches you won't get any layers at all, they won't show up. You'll have to dare cutting a bit more for any layering to take place, as others chimed in and said.

enfys, I'm not sure how exactly to maintain these layers as I haven't tried that yet Good idea, if anybody has any suggestions for this, I'm all ears.

misstwist, thank you, that's good to know, I just imagined that to be able to even make a ponytail at your hairline in the front, you'll need longer hair.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I guess maintaining would involve making the ponytail and so on again, but just cutting half an inch off, not the initial 4-6?

The ends of the original ponytail would be like this, with shorter strands at the top being those from the nape and the longer being from the front:

_______________|___
    _______________|____
    _______________|________

then after cutting would be like this:

Then to maintain it would be something like this:
    ______________|_
    ______________|_
    ______________|_

Yeah, I'm too lazy to even do a picture in Paint
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram