Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to cut long layers

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: How to cut long layers

enfys, I think you're right, I understand your "picture" perfectly and it makes sense when I think about it.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Sounds about right to me! I used pretty much the same method around two years ago, but I'm growing it out now because I had a hard time with updos and layers. I just used my hand instead of a ponytail. Can't really remember why I didn't like the ponytail.

I might just go back to layers one of these days. Matter of fact, I bet that'd take off most of my current remaining damage.

Aisling, how do the layers affect your updos? Do the ends stick out all over the place? I'm wondering if having longer length and more skill with updos will make it easier to keep the ends tucked in.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've done stuff like this in the past, though usually with less severe layering by making the ponytail roughly at my nose instead of my forehead.

Felt like making a quick diagram of what's happening, conceptually. Aisling's instructions are similar, except that the person would be leaning over further.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

You mean this? It's from the book, "Haircutting for dummies".
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ing-speed.html

(BTW, here's a tip that's not in the book. If you separate the hair above your ears, and only gather that into a ponytail, you won't get as much layering, you'll skip layering your underlayer! Another tip. Take a strand of hair, from the ponytail (right in the middle, top of the crown), pull it down, pinch it to where you want the shortest layer. Pull it back up (keep pinching it) and you'll need to snip there and not further down.)

In the same book, they mention another method where the ponytail's positioned right at your hairline. This creates shorter layers in front.

I'm growing out my layers at the moment. The first method, if you pull all the hair into the ponytail, takes forever to grow out. It creates layers from about/above shoulder all the way to BSL. If you have longer hair, you'll have longer layers.
    Last edited by lapushka; October 11th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post

Aisling, how do the layers affect your updos? Do the ends stick out all over the place? I'm wondering if having longer length and more skill with updos will make it easier to keep the ends tucked in.
    My hair is so long that I usually have a good deal of tail that I hide anyway under any updo. Any shorter layered ends sticking out usually gets hidden this way.

anje, that works as well, I'm not sure the difference is that big in the end.

lapushka, I'm familiar with those instructions, I'm just thinking about posting an article here on LHC. Or do you think I shouldn't do that as those instructions already exist?
    Also, pulling your hair straight up as in the picture from dummies.com won't create much noticeable layering in a longer hair and is impossible to do by yourself with a hair as long as mine.

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I had searched for an article about layering your hair before, but there definitely isn't one. Just the Feye's trimming method. There are videos on youtube.

If you don't want to trim any of your bottom layers at all, you can always do a half-ponytail and cut that. Personally, I found that these methods left my layers longer on the sides than in the back. I had to resort to a different, much more time consuming method but I am very happy with the results.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aisling View Post
    My hair is so long that I usually have a good deal of tail that I hide anyway under any updo. Any shorter layered ends sticking out usually gets hidden this way.
    Oh, yay! That's what I was hoping. I think I'll hang in there until I reach about your length, but I'll probably cut some layers back in using this method once I get there.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by aisling View Post
    lapushka, I'm familiar with those instructions, I'm just thinking about posting an article here on LHC. Or do you think I shouldn't do that as those instructions already exist?
    I'm sorry. I was only trying to help.

Just had to chime in and say I love this!
    I used this method on my apl hair with awesome results:

I put the ponytail on top of my forehead for more face framing layers, and I cut a little bit at a time to avoid choppiness.
    My hair holds a wave/curl so much better now!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It looks really cute on you!

Those compact cut techniques are really great for wavy, messy hair. Lots of volume in the right places!

I've tried both methods, and am currently growing out the ponytail-on-the-top-of-the-head method. Lots of layering, though with that one, even in the back, that's the downside. You get less shorter bits in the back (but shorter bits up front) with the other method, with the one you've used.

It looks great! Makes me want to reconsider growing out my layers.