Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid problems.

Length
    35/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Default Braid problems.

Hi people.

When my hair was longer, eg. waist length and below, an English braid used to be my most comfortable means of getting my hair out of the way and protecting it, especially when I was sick and in bed.

Nowadays I just can't seem to make it comfortable. It looks good, but it always seems to end up with the whole weight hanging off one strand or pulling in odd places, no matter how hard I try. French braids are even worse for some reason. Its so uncomfortable, I just can't wear braids for any length of time and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy it.

I don't understand why it was never a problem when it was much longer, it just took no effort at all to do it and it was always comfortable. I would have thought that the extra length and weight would have made this problem more likely? Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong? Is it because its still too short perhaps? Even though an English braid looks good at this length, it doesn't feel right.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was looking forward to my hair being long enough again to do an English braid (I like simple styles). If I have to wait a bit longer for more length, I can live with that though.

Any solutions? Or has anyone else experienced this at this length but found it got better as it got longer?

Thanks in advance.

Length
    8 in/42 in/60 in
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Re: Braid problems.

I've been having the same problems with my braids. I can start the braid but then have to bring it around the side and in front to finish the braid, which gives it a "twisted" look. I am getting more tangles than if I would have left it in a ponytail. Maybe I'm not starting the braid right???

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    Hi people.

When my hair was longer, eg. waist length and below, an English braid used to be my most comfortable means of getting my hair out of the way and protecting it, especially when I was sick and in bed.

Nowadays I just can't seem to make it comfortable. It looks good, but it always seems to end up with the whole weight hanging off one strand or pulling in odd places, no matter how hard I try. French braids are even worse for some reason. Its so uncomfortable, I just can't wear braids for any length of time and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy it.

I don't understand why it was never a problem when it was much longer, it just took no effort at all to do it and it was always comfortable. I would have thought that the extra length and weight would have made this problem more likely? Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong? Is it because its still too short perhaps? Even though an English braid looks good at this length, it doesn't feel right.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was looking forward to my hair being long enough again to do an English braid (I like simple styles). If I have to wait a bit longer for more length, I can live with that though.

Any solutions? Or has anyone else experienced this at this length but found it got better as it got longer?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried lace braiding? Here's a video link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Braiding short hair can be a bit difficult but it is doable. Are you sure your sections are even? Are you braiding too tightly? Hope you find the answer to your problem! Good luck!

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I'm going to watch this tread for replies from our wonderful braiding artists. I find that I have braid broblems too. My first few loops at the beginning of my braid always look loopsided no matter what I do. Once I get going the braid is nice and neat but the beginning is so messy I can never wear it outside the house
    I love mixing up my oils!

Length
    chin/chin/TB

My only suggestion is practice. Sit down, and experiment. Hold your hands differently than usual, just try to figure out what is most comfortaable to give you the best braid. And detangle. After every single bit of hair is added, detangle the rest of the length. You will have smooth braids. As for bringing the braid in front of you and developing a twist, hold your hands to follow the "twist" until you can see that its all even. It all comes with practice.
    My 100% never fail updo is a dutch braid with the length pinned in a bun to my head with spinpins. I hardly ever have issues, just work with your hair, take off your rings and bracelets, and don't give up. Braids are sooo beautiful and if you braid right, that bad boy can hold for two days!! Woo! good luck.
    Madora gave you a brilliant link for lace braids.
    There are a couple youtube channels I frequent, where I've learned all my tricks. I'm not sure if I can name names on here but if you'd like to know, just PM me.

Length
    35/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bna_rapunzel View Post
    As for bringing the braid in front of you and developing a twist, hold your hands to follow the "twist" until you can see that its all even. It all comes with practice.
    Oh that wasn't me that was one of the people who replied to me. As I said in my post, the braid always looks perfect but never feels as comfortable as it did when my hair was longer.

ETA: Sorry I meant perfectly ok, not perfect! Was in a rush when I typed that.
    Last edited by pepperpot; October 9th, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Length
    35/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Have you tried lace braiding? Here's a video link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Braiding short hair can be a bit difficult but it is doable. Are you sure your sections are even? Are you braiding too tightly? Hope you find the answer to your problem! Good luck!
    Thanks for the link. That looks like a good one to try.

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Well, you can try Dianyla's English braid: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/arc...ad.php?t=23652
    It involves v-shaped sectioning.

And for getting it straight after you can't braid behind your head, try flipping your head upside down and finishing it that way.

All of us have awkward lengths where we have to learn new strategies for a time. Don't get too frustrated.
    January 2012

Length
    bald/44/50in
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I do notice one thing, the more you braid the better you get at it and your hair also becomes trained sorta speak, I don't really know how to explain it but it's like muscle memory, you do a move long enough your body just does it lol!
    Oh hey I just tried the style in the video Madora!! It's really cute! Easy and looks good too and even with my length I was able to do it pretty easily thanks for posting it!

It's so hard to get my hair to lay straight

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I do notice one thing, the more you braid the better you get at it and your hair also becomes trained sorta speak, I don't really know how to explain it but it's like muscle memory, you do a move long enough your body just does it lol!
    Oh hey I just tried the style in the video Madora!! It's really cute! Easy and looks good too and even with my length I was able to do it pretty easily thanks for posting it!
    You're right on target, Skyblue! The more you braid, the better you become. Over time your fingers sort of "memorize" how to hold the strands, the angles, the tension, and before you know it, a previously difficult style is not so hard after all.

Glad you enjoyed Lillith Moon's lace braiding video.