Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a solution to fine,dry, curly hair

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default what is a solution to fine,dry, curly hair

Yeah so I got the combination of these and am in need of super help.

Right now I'm taking biotin,fish oil,sometimes niacin, vitamin A

my hair is medium fine but you can just about see my scalp. I'm only 21 and am off the pill for now a couple of months. I was considering henna since they say it has conditioning properties and can make your hair feel a little thicker. Other than that I dont know what to do.

My life saver for the dry hair was Fekkai's shea butter conditioner and shampoo, my super unrully hair becomes nice waves,silky, and soft. But people scold me cause it's very heavy and can make my hair fall off, although I barely even needed to put anything else on my hair because of it.

So stress is a factor, but yet again who doesnt have stress.

Are there any curly/frizz prone beauties out there that can give me advice? Or people suffering with hair loss and found something helped?

By the way, if you have kitties stay away from minoxidil which will kill your cat (ingredient in plenty of hair loss solutions like rogaine)

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: what is a solution to fine,dry, curly hair

Going off the pill may have something to do with the thinning, which means it should just be temporary. I am definintely curly/frizz prone and things that have helped me were: satin sleeping cap, strecthing washes and coconut oil GL!
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aenflex View Post
    Going off the pill may have something to do with the thinning, which means it should just be temporary. I am definintely curly/frizz prone and things that have helped me were: satin sleeping cap, strecthing washes and coconut oil GL!
    Mighty aenflex, do teach me the ways of strecthing washes. what is that?

I def am hoping to get satin sheets asap but good tip on the sleeping cap

oo! me! me! I have very fine, curly hair. I have a lot of it, but there have certainly been times when it wasn't so full (am pregnant now, so that may be contributing).

The two biggest, hugest, and I really can't stress how HUGE a difference they made, for me was:

1 - giving up shampoo except on special occasions like when I have done an oiling treatment. I 'wash' my hair 2-3 times per week with a clarifying conditioner. I used to have to use gobs of really thick, expensive conditioner plus a leave in conditioner to control the frizzies, but now I don't need any. I also used to use tons of products and now I can use none on normal days and just a little gel on other days.

2 - giving up dyeing. yup. it sucks, but my hair grows fast enough that roots show in 2-3 weeks and I finally stopped dyeing when I realized in the space of about six months I had lost about 1/3 of my hair due to chemical stress.

(ok, three things)

3 - gave up heat styling . Now I air-dry and only blowdry maybe one per month. This didn't restore the thickness of my hair so much as cut way down on the frizz.

BTW, I have yet to try a satin sleep cap/pillowcase, but it's on my list.

My mother has fine, thin, straight hair and she was really worried because it was starting to thin even more. I finally convinced her to give up shampoo and she says that she has a ton of little new hairs growing in since she did (she didn't believe me, I printed out an article about the propelyne glycol in conditioner and one of the comments was from a lady the same age as her who had experienced thinning hair that stopped when she gave up shampoo).

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If something works for your hair, use it! Heavy conditioners won't make your hair fall out -- that's just silly.

Do try a silk/satin pillowcase or sleep bonnet. Also, if you don't already, consider combing your hair only when it's full of conditioner. Depending on what works for you, you might even want to skip rinsing most of the conditioner out.

Have you seen stuff about the Curly Girl method? I don't think it's necessarily the end-all and beat-all of curly care, but it's a great jumping-off point and worth reading about, if you're not familiar with it.

I didn't have any thinning going off NuvaRing (switched to a copper, no-hormone IUD back in February). YMMV -- thinning post-pill is pretty common; since the Pill basically simulates pregnancy and going off can trigger something like a post-partum shed. My system pretty much takes all the female stuff in stride, thankfully.
    Last edited by Anje; October 5th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lauravmarcela View Post
    My life saver for the dry hair was Fekkai's shea butter conditioner and shampoo, my super unrully hair becomes nice waves,silky, and soft. But people scold me cause it's very heavy and can make my hair fall off, although I barely even needed to put anything else on my hair because of it.
    If it worked, I'd say go back to the Fekkai's shea butter conditioner and shampoo. (For the record, I've never heard of a conditioner being so "heavy" that the hair fell off... but perhaps I am ignorant of it.)
    "If we amplify everything, we hear nothing"

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dvips View Post
    If it worked, I'd say go back to the Fekkai's shea butter conditioner and shampoo. (For the record, I've never heard of a conditioner being so "heavy" that the hair fell off... but perhaps I am ignorant of it.)
    I don't know where they get their sources from

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    If something works for your hair, use it! Heavy conditioners won't make your hair fall out -- that's just silly.

Do try a silk/satin pillowcase or sleep bonnet. Also, if you don't already, consider combing your hair only when it's full of conditioner. Depending on what works for you, you might even want to skip rinsing most of the conditioner out.

Have you seen stuff about the Curly Girl method? I don't think it's necessarily the end-all and beat-all of curly care, but it's a great jumping-off point and worth reading about, if you're not familiar with it.

I didn't have any thinning going off NuvaRing (switched to a copper, no-hormone IUD back in February). YMMV -- thinning post-pill is pretty common; since the Pill basically simulates pregnancy and going off can trigger something like a post-partum shed. My system pretty much takes all the female stuff in stride, thankfully.
    Yea I've been off the pill for I think 2 months now, hopefully things kick up again.

And thanks so much about curly girl method, I'll def look into that

Quote Originally Posted by NotLostYet View Post
    oo! me! me! I have very fine, curly hair. I have a lot of it, but there have certainly been times when it wasn't so full (am pregnant now, so that may be contributing).

The two biggest, hugest, and I really can't stress how HUGE a difference they made, for me was:

1 - giving up shampoo except on special occasions like when I have done an oiling treatment. I 'wash' my hair 2-3 times per week with a clarifying conditioner. I used to have to use gobs of really thick, expensive conditioner plus a leave in conditioner to control the frizzies, but now I don't need any. I also used to use tons of products and now I can use none on normal days and just a little gel on other days.

2 - giving up dyeing. yup. it sucks, but my hair grows fast enough that roots show in 2-3 weeks and I finally stopped dyeing when I realized in the space of about six months I had lost about 1/3 of my hair due to chemical stress.

(ok, three things)

3 - gave up heat styling . Now I air-dry and only blowdry maybe one per month. This didn't restore the thickness of my hair so much as cut way down on the frizz.
    Thanks a bunch! ^-^ I'll def try these

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Exactly like Notlostyet says - shampoo less my dear I went from every day to every other day to every 2-3 days, over the course of a year or so. The less I wash, the better. I cannot say this would apply to everyone, but for me washing my hair 2 days per 7 is awesome!! I have coarse, semi-curly, dry hair.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Post Re: what is a solution to fine,dry, curly hair

Quote Originally Posted by lauravmarcela View Post
    Yeah so I got the combination of these and am in need of super help.

Right now I'm taking biotin,fish oil,sometimes niacin, vitamin A

my hair is medium fine but you can just about see my scalp. I'm only 21 and am off the pill for now a couple of months. I was considering henna since they say it has conditioning properties and can make your hair feel a little thicker. Other than that I dont know what to do.

So stress is a factor, but yet again who doesnt have stress.

Are there any curly/frizz prone beauties out there that can give me advice? Or people suffering with hair loss and found something helped?

By the way, if you have kitties stay away from minoxidil which will kill your cat (ingredient in plenty of hair loss solutions like rogaine)
    I have similar hair to you in that it is medium texture but fine but mine is wavy/curly and i can honestly say that the CG method totally transformed my hair it is never frizzy or dry anymore i would at least read the book.