Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 40 and growing

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Default Over 40 and growing

I wanted to start a thread for those of us who are over 40 and decided to grow - or already have long hair - when society tell us we need to cut it short to look young! Who is with me?

What about those who are 40 growing and going grey like me?

Let support each other on this journey!

How old are you?

When did you start growing?

What is your goal?

What is your cir?

Favorite products?

Routine?

How long do you plan to go?
    Last edited by wahmof9; March 7th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
    11/2/11 ~ 32 inches long (when stetched) ~ 2 1/2 inches circ. ~ Waist when wet...next goal waist when dry
    Lady Bethiah-Tallie of the Divine Kingdom in the order of the Longhaired Knight

Length
    SHLDR/32/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Over 40 and growing

Weelllll.......
    I'm 40 and 1/2 years old, so I guess I qualify for the "senior discount" (ha ha).
    Count me in!

Oh, P.S.,
    I finally got my first "cut your hair" comment from my stepmother. When my hair was all jacked up from being sick for so long, she told me, "You're 40 now and might want to start re-thinking the long hair anyway." Ho ho ho. It is to laugh (to quote Daffy Duck).

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Welcome to the group 1953diygal! Glad to have you on the journey!

Have you ever had short hair?

What is your routine and what is your cir.?
    11/2/11 ~ 32 inches long (when stetched) ~ 2 1/2 inches circ. ~ Waist when wet...next goal waist when dry

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

I want to join!

I'm not forty yet (36). I am hoping to reach tailbone by the time I'm forty. I feel that these next four years will be crucial in my attempt to spite societal norms. I am hoping for continued hair health in the future so I can one day have long gray hair.

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Me too!!! I think long hair can actually make you look younger.. but it all depends on the person the hair etc.. I have only a couple of grays. (this last year I got a couple that are hanging out together but thats all) anyways I'm currently trying for TB and I'll be 43 in three months

somehow I missed all the questions... see my old eyes are getting to me

started growing in August (that was my last trim and it was a good 3-4"
    Think final goal is TB but going to aim for waist for now
    2 1/2" hopefully once all the bleach breakage grows out will be a little thicker (better be)
    right now favorite product is coconut oil and white vinegar rinse, other than that pretty much anything works
    my routine is to try and co and shampoo wash only a few times a week, no bleach and no heat styling and oil ofen as I can
    Last edited by Rocket22; March 7th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    Pixie/30in./32in.
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I am over 40 and loving my long hair journey. I did not realize how much I missed my long hair in my 9 year 'pixie' stage. I am now in my second year of grow ing out that pixie cut.

I plan on growing my hair to my waist. As of last night, after measuring my hair, it just touches the top of my brastrap.

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

How old are you? 52

When did you start growing? I've had long hair most of my life, except for 3 instances of temporary insanity. I've been re-growing this last time since September '09.

What is your goal? I'm gonna get to waist and see what happens - I think hip will be about all I want to manage.

What is your cir? Hard to say right now, it's about 3", but there are some layers that don't quite reach the ponytail just yet.

Favorite products? I CO wash using a conditioner I used to get at my local Shop Rite (grocery store) - but they seem to be phasing it out. I'll use Suave in place of it.

Routine? I've just started trying the epsom salt thing from this thread - I like it so far. Henna/cassia 50/50 about once every 3-4 weeks. My job requires my hair to be up, so the "put it up and forget it" thing is easy for me.

How long do you plan to go? Does this mean how long do I plan to keep my hair long? Until it becomes more work to care for than I'm capable of.

Cool idea for a thread, cos some of us "old folks" just can't quite accept the Renegray concept just yet.

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm inching ever closer to age 60, and my hair is getting whiter/more silver by the day.

I wanted long hair all my life but was too impulsive and kept getting hair cuts because I couldn't resist. FINALLY patience came along in my mid-40s and I've been growing that long hair that I've always wanted ever since. My circumference ranges from 3.8 - 4.2 inches, or it was when I bothered to measure. I don't anymore. Whatever will be will be as far as thickness and length are concerned, and I don't care (much). I am at my goal length but don't feel like cutting it back yet, so there! I use a CWC routine with diluted shampoo, full-strength shampoo when I feel I have buildup. My favorite products are Natures Gate and Save Your Hair/Save Your Rainforest, but I'm not loyal. If something else that smells wonderful is on sale, I'll buy it.

Nobody tells me I should cut my hair. The only one who ever said that was my father, but meh! He can cut his hair if he wants short hair (and he does, right down to the scalp). My granddaughter tells me to never cut it, and she thinks it would be awesome if I had hair down to my knees. An 8-year-old who I met on vacation in Bonaire told me "Never cut your hair!" She was quite impressed with it.

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Welcome! So glad to have you and thank you for sharing!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

How old are you?I will be 42 in May

When did you start growing? December 22nd 25, at approx 11.30am after a stupid hairdresser cut my nearly waist hair, to an uneven bob/pixie....I asked to be trimmed to bsl. I knew as soon as I walked out of the salon, I was going to grow it back. I am presently just past waist length.

What is your goal? Classic length, but who knows I still feel very short at my length now, long hair is kinda addictive! The longest I think I could manage is probably thigh but I think my hair would be hard work, though I love the very long lengths on others but I dont really think I have th genes to go extra long but id be happy with classic!

What is your cir? I dont understand this question, do you mean routine?? I pre oil with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) I add oil lightly on a daily basis to my hair ends. and I CSC cones/coneless whatevers in the bathroom. I use straighteners about once or twice a year but never use a hair drier and I wear my hair up most of the time!

Favorite products? Tigi moisture mainac, CHI serum, EVOO, camillia oil and rose water. Though I have just discovered my hair actually loves coconut milk soaks, which it detested a year or so back. I always am open to trying new things, even stuff my hair previously hated!

I am also getting a few greys ( an inch wide stripe) in my fringe, so I am going to grow my henna out and embrace them. I figure its better to do this with little grey so it looks more natural. My roots are only slightly noticable and I quite like 2 toned hair!

Aww I see cir is circumference doh! mine is 4.5"
    Last edited by jojo; March 8th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip