Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you noticed a correlation between the condition of your hair vs nails?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Have any of you noticed a correlation between the condition of your hair vs nails?

I'm a nail nerd and pretty active on a forum about nails. Just like with hair there are different types of nails that each require their own special treatment.

I wonder if there is a correlation between both since hair and nails are basically made of the same material. I.e. people with dry brittle nails that break easily also have hair that breaks and splits easily and people with soft and flexible nails that bend easily and are more prone to tearing instead of breaking have hair that is resilient too.

For nails the first category does best with treatments that contain more protein and add moisture while the second category needs a treatment that removes excess moisture so the nails harden and they usually react badly to protein.

There is of course a third category who's nails don't need special treatment and who's nails do great with just the occasional rubbing with hand cream or cuticle cream.

Nailwise I fall in the third category and I'm starting to think that maybe I should treat my hair the same way. Take care of the scalp and roots without over moisturizing or drying it to much (C-COW-C works for me), give the hair the occasional 'rubbing' with a moisturizer like a drop of oil and other than that just leave it be.

Did any of you notice a correlation between the condition and the needs of their hair vs the condition and the needs of their nails?

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Have any of you noticed a correlation between the condition of your hair vs nails

didn't think about it, but it sounds so very logical :-)

Length
    20/33.5/Tb
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Have any of you noticed a correlation between the condition of your hair vs nails

Hmm. interesting.. i've always had long-ish hair really, but my nails never grow without any help ie strengthening nail polish... then again i've always had more manual jobs where my hands are always going things, getting wet and thing like that, so maybe there is a correlation but i've never had the chance to notice....
    "Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.” - David Hume

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It does right? Doesn't mean it really makes sense though. lol

It occurred to me while reading the honey and cinnamon threads. I know people with staining from nail polish pigments are often looking for non-damaging ways to whiten their nails so I thought I'd give a honey,cinnamon and possibly hand cream mix a chance. My nails don't really stain that bad but it might help others.

But then I realized my hair also doesn't take dye that well either and started wondering if nails and hair are similar in other aspect too.

Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I haven't noticed much of a correlation personally. My nails used to be very thin and prone to flaking. They improved immensely when I completely stopped using nail polishes and removers of any kind. They're now resilient and very rarely break. I don't do anything to them beyond cutting/shaping every couple of weeks and pushing back my cuticles.

My hair, on the other hand, is definitely prone to breakage. I have a halo of flyaways all along my hairline. My hair has always been like this and has continued to be like this despite attempts at diet change, the addition of biotin and other supplements, and a huge change in how I physically treat my hair as well as what I put on it.

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

My hair is usually a little slower than average, not quite 1/2" a month and I have noticed that my nails are slow at growing too. I think that is where the similarities stop though, my hair usually can withstand a lot while my nails constantly break and aren't very durable.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

My nails grow pretty fast... I'm not sure about my hair, its at flip length any addition of length is just hidden in the flip. Anyways, my nails become long pretty fast (I wish it would take the same amount of time for my hair to become 'long')
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Both my hair and nails are dry, brittle, thin and hard to grow.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I definitely have better hair than nails. My hair is thick and coarse, doesn't get split ends and can stand up to very rough treatment easily. My nails are sensitive and prone to peel and chip.

Both hair and nails do like oils more than protein, and both grow on the slow end of average.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

For me, no. It often seems that if my nails are growing fast, my hair isn't growing at all.