Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water soluble 'cones?

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Water soluble 'cones?

What are these, exactly? I mean, what name should I look out for? Is Dimethicone one of them? I think there was a thread on this topic at one time...

I've been 'cone free for shampoo and conditioner (loving the stuff I use, and don't want to change) for the last 5 weeks. My hair is doing really well, but I get 'static' a lot now, I suspect due to the lack of leave-in products; and leaving some conditioner/oil in the ends doesn't seem to be working very well ATM.

So I'm considering the use of a 'cone leave in, and understand that if it's water based it's not likely to produce build-up on my hair. Is that correct?

Can anybody help - because this is driving me mad, and spoiling the look and feel of otherwise strong, healthy hair. Not too expensive please - plus I'm in UK (just so you know).

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Water-soluble 'cones are indeed soluble in water, but mostly at higher temperatures than you want to wash your hair with, so they actually build up on your hair as well.

The only 'cone where I am sure that it is soluble in water is "dimethicone copolyol".

If your hair is static at the moment, you could also try a deep-moisture treatment. Hair is mostly static, if there is not enough moisture in the hair... so that would be worth a try?

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

For me what made the biggest difference in avoiding static was finding a truly non-static comb. I tried a number of brands and materials of combs that claimed to be abtistatic, but the only one that trule lived up to the promise for me was my cherished Denman carbon-fibre comb. If you are fighting a bad case of static, I can thoroughly recommend it. Denmans are made in the UK, so you shouldn't have any trouble sourcing their products.

I had to buy another one recently after loosing mine while on a trip, and I can tell you the two weeks before I got round to the shop that sells them were pure hell. Some of my spare combs weren't exactly cheap either, but I just felt like I was brutalizing my hair. Not to mention I suddenly was experiencing static again that had been a mere distant memory since I switched to the Denman Carbon antistatic.

To be totally accurate in my description I should mention that due to the production process there a a slight seam line visible in these combs. However, they do FEEL perfectly smooth when you run a finger over them, the finish is excellent!

katharine

Length
    shoul/hip/knee
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have no answers about the 'cones, unfortunately. I live in a fairly humid climate so static isn't a big problem, but I noticed that my hair stopped having static pretty much altogether when I switched from using garnier fructis leave-in to coconut oil.

Length
    shoul/hip/knee
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Forgot to mention that I use it from the ears down rather than just the ends, so oiling carefully a bit further up might be helpful.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Hi Celebrian

I have an article on different cones by Juliet's Silk that was in the article section of LHC before it went down. I saved it on my PC because I referred to it so often! The article is quite long and includes a list of the more widely used cones and their water solubility. If you'd like a copy then PM me with your email and I'll send it to you Like I said, it's pretty long and I'm hesitant to paste it onto this thread...

HTH

Length
    BSL/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Would it be possible for you to put it in the articles section? Or would that get too confusing? Otherwise could you pm it to me too? Thanks!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Ahhhh... of course, why didn't I think of that?! I'll put it up in articles, with a note crediting Juliet's Silk as the author. Hopefully that will be okay - wouldn't want her to think I'm trying to palm it off as my own! :biggrin:

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

We had a great list in the "to cone or not to cone" article Hopefully someone will have some luck digging that back up or had it saved on their hard drive.

I found a partial list here that seems to suggest that PEG-8 and PEG-12 dimethicones are water soluble.

I did find this, though:

Silicone Use with Skin and Hair

Unmodified silicones stay on or near the surface of the skin. Not only are the molecules too big to physically enter past the upper living cells -- they associate with the upper layer of drying skin -- but they also cannot penetrate cell membranes due to their large size. They also dislike both the water and proteins inside cells.

Cyclomethicones are unmodified silicones. They evaporate quickly after helping to carry oils into the top layer of epidermis. From there, they may be absorbed by the skin. Cyclomethicones a similar function in hair care products by helping nutrients enter the hair shaft.

Dimethicones are also unmodified silicones. They form a barrier layer on the skin which must be renewed as the skin sloughs off. Dimethicones coat the surface of the hair and lubricate it, improving combing providing detangling, and thus, hair loss and breakage.

Silicones form a protective layer which helps prevent transdermal water loss -- a very useful characteristic for many products. Silicone gums provide instant shine to hair. Silicones act to help seal moisture into the hair, which helps prevent many kinds of damage.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    Hi Celebrian

I have an article on different cones by Juliet's Silk that was in the article section of LHC before it went down. I saved it on my PC because I referred to it so often! The article is quite long and includes a list of the more widely used cones and their water solubility. If you'd like a copy then PM me with your email and I'll send it to you Like I said, it's pretty long and I'm hesitant to paste it onto this thread...

HTH
    Oh thank <insert deity of choice here> someone has it!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

It's funny that you find that non-cone products are causing you static, because I find the complete opposite happens with me. My home is quite dry and I get a lot of electrical shocks over the course of the day, but I never get staticky hair except if I use cones.

You might want to take a tiny drop of the non-cone conditioner to use as a leave-in. I use less than a pea-sized amount for my BSL hair.

I also use a drop or two of jojoba oil on my hair after it dries, from the ears down only.

Oh, I forgot to say that I don't shampoo; I CO. That's made a big difference for me.
    Last edited by FrannyG; March 12th, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: to add last line