Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: See-through ends...any hope?

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default See-through ends...any hope?

I am very very close to my goal, but the last 3 inches or so of my hair is very thin and scraggly. Is there anything I can do besides trimming?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: See-through ends...any hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Eireann View Post
    I am very very close to my goal, but the last 3 inches or so of my hair is very thin and scraggly. Is there anything I can do besides trimming?
    I would trim back slowly unless you are really tired of your ends. The most important thing is to determine the cause. Is it just that you have not trimmed in a long while? Or do you have a breakage taper?

I had a breakage taper for years. I kept getting trims to deal with it but it would reappear.

For me, not using conditioner and swtiching to catnip stopped the taper completely, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118. I can still get a growth taper if I neglect trims though. It is not the same thing.

Just find products that reduce breakage and they can contain cones, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...hair-care.html.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Nothing can magically make your ends thicker. You can still grow long and do regular trims - sometimes it's even essential to trim damaged ends because they break off faster than your hair grows. The key is to trim less than you grow, keep track of how much exactly you trimmed and when. My hair was almost waist when I joined, and due to thin ends I trimmed more than half of my growth. I'm TBL now

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

If you want a thicker hemline the only thing you can do is trim. However you can do things to prevent future breakage. Your thickness should move down as your hair grows. I'm in the process of doing this. For me it's been more frequent but smaller trims, CO washes, and oiling at night. I'm not sure how far I'm going to get with this but I'm hoping for tailbone or close to it.

I am not here to decorate your world

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

True, by stopping the breakage taper I did not mean that my thin ends suddenly became thicker. I had to trim the thin ends off.

However, the breakage did not continue with catnip use to the degree that it had prior to using it and my hair has since and now grows with an even thickness from roots to ends (barring going too long between trims).

Length
    Pixie/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Just another echo here, that they won't magically get thicker overnight. But, you can maintain where you are or wear your hair up in a protective style and baby it with moisture and/or protein according to its needs to that when you get to your goal, it will be as healthy as it can be. Either way, in order to get a thicker hemline, you'll have to take good care of it, continue with S&D missions, and either trim it where you want to maintain it or else get to terminal and love your fairytale ends.

Length
    Pixie/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

You could also check out Angeletti's way of curling just the ends of her hair to make the thin ends look a little more full.

(I hope that the linking worked... I'm not super good at some techie stuff yet...)

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

This popped up at the same time I was opening your thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=56332 doesn't thicken them, but hides their thinness a little.
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will need to trim soon, but I'll do it little by little. I'm also going to try CO for a while. Meanwhile, Angeletti's idea of curling the ends is a great one!

Length
    APL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii/iii

As much as I hate it, trimming is the only way.

I love Angeletti's way of disguising her thin ends!