Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling before henna..

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Oiling before henna..

Who here regularly oils their hair with coconut oil right before they henna? What are your results? How much do you use?

TIA.
    Last edited by little_cherry; September 25th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Oiling before henna..

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Who here regularly oils their hair with coconut oil right before they henna? What are your results? How much do you use?

TIA.
    If you are curious about how it may affect lawsone uptake, there are some things that would be helpful to know.

It is recommended in the henna threads to clarify before using henna.

It is recommended before using coconut oil as a pre-treatment before conventional dye or lightening to clarify the hair.

Many people rinse out henna using lots of conditioner and oiling their hair afterward.

So, it depends on how they are using the coconut oil.

Zombiekins report on my profile page (near the bottom of the page), from 2 messages
    "I can say with a certainty it did *not* adversely affect the color uptake. Even my friend is amazed at how red it was the next day (instead of "hey, it looks a little burnt orange, maybe it'll get better?), so the stain was very strong." ..."So as a final word on this henna application's use of a coconut pre-oiling, loads of benefit without any disadvantages."
    Last edited by ktani; September 25th, 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I wouldn't say I oil regularly before henna on purpose, but I do keep my hair oiled.

I just happened to henna last night after having oiled earlier in the day using both Parachute Coconut Oil and then Dabur Amla Oil because my ends were feeling dry and a little stiff. And I'm pretty generous with the oil... The henna I used was Dulhan and I mixed it with some black tea and let it sit for about 9 hours before applying. I only left the henna on my hair for 2 & 1/2 hours but got good dye from it. The same as I get when I shampoo my hair first.

Oh, also, day before yesterday after I washed I had applied coconut oil. So that's 2 days worth of oil and the dye took just fine.

The only difference is that my hair does seem just a little bit softer(less stiff) than when I normally henna, but it's not much softer. From what I've read, henna can absorb oil so I guess it absorbed the oil and got down to business on my hair.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I just saw you asked how much I used. Thursday after I washed I separated my hair into 4 sections and applied about a dime size of liquid coconut oil to each section. On Friday - the day I hennaed - I separated again and did the same thing with a smaller amount of coconut oil - maybe the diameter of pea or 3-4 drops per section. After that my hair still felt a little stiff on the ends and I didn't want to dry them out with the henna so I used the Dabur Amla Oil by placing my palm on the opening of the bottle and turning the bottle upside down so some would stick to my hand. I rubbed that amount between my hands and smoothed through one section(1/4 of my hair). If it didn't feel like enough then I'd repeat so I used what was left on my hand 2 times per section. As strong as the Dabur Amla Oil smells, there was no oil smell left on my hair after the henna - and that smell can last through multiple shampoos. It's potent.
    Last edited by virgo75; September 25th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.

Thank you Ktani and Virgo75.

I have oiled after henna, but after a long day and washing out henna, I haven't been doing that... I will most definitely try oiling before henna since henna does soak up oils.

It makes total sense. Coconut oil is wonderful.

I have something interesting to add about henna and cones. The presence of cones on the hair does not effect the dye uptake...I tested the "henna will not dye if you use cones" theory and found it to be false. Actually, the henna strips the hair of cones (dimethicone and Amodimethicone). I did a gloss and still got an incredibly strong stain.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Thank you Ktani and Virgo75.

I have oiled after henna, but after a long day and washing out henna, I haven't been doing that... I will most definitely try oiling before henna since henna does soak up oils.

It makes total sense. Coconut oil is wonderful.

I have something interesting to add about henna and cones. The presence of cones on the hair does not effect the dye uptake...I tested the "henna will not dye if you use cones" theory and found it to be false. Actually, the henna strips the hair of cones (dimethicone and Amodimethicone). I did a gloss and still got an incredibly strong stain.
    You are most welcome!

Very interesting. It would depend, I think, on the specific silicones as there are variations (weights, mixes etc.) under the names.

Lawsone is just about indestructable lol. It can be lightened but removed? Completely? No, except under very limited circumstances, that are rare.
    Last edited by ktani; September 25th, 2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Length
    apl/hip/?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I do it. I saturate my hair with coconut oil, then put the henna in. It doesn't adversely affect the dye uptake at all, the henna removes the oil, and I don't get post henna crunchies. Win/win/win.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I would think that oiling before henna would be counter productive...

Isn't lawsonia's coloring ability resin-like? I would suspect that coconut oil would dilute it's potency. Like using paint thinner to thin paint.

Isn't it advised to some people to try to remove an unwanted tint of henna to soak in coconut oil and then clarify???

I'm not working from experience, just my limited knowledge. Can someone explain to me why it would work well?

Confused, as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by TiaKitty View Post
    I would think that oiling before henna would be counter productive...

Isn't lawsonia's coloring ability resin-like? I would suspect that coconut oil would dilute it's potency. Like using paint thinner to thin paint.

Isn't it advised to some people to try to remove an unwanted tint of henna to soak in coconut oil and then clarify???

I'm not working from experience, just my limited knowledge. Can someone explain to me why it would work well?

Confused, as usual...
    Theoretically oiling before henna could be counter productive depending on the amount of oil used and the oil itself.

However, coconut oil is absorbed into the hair. It chelates or binds metal salts found in the hair and tap water. Used before conventional dying and lightening, it prevents unwanted damaging free radicals being produced, when copper and iron interact with hydrogen peroxide, limiting or preventing hair damage. It has not been reported to interfere with conventional dye uptake or lightening. It has been reported to increase dye uptake, and lightening results have been reported to be excellent.

Using coconut oil (preferably on clarified hair) before henna, with henna applied over it was an experiment that worked according to reports. Lawsone was not impeded from binding with hair keratin and the hair was reported to be more conditioned as a result of the pre-treatment.
    Last edited by ktani; September 25th, 2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: punctuation

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

my sister lives in Yemen and all the women there henna all the time, of course henna grows plentifully in the region she is in, anyway all the women also oil their hair pre-henna and so does my sister and she says that it does not interfere in any way with dye absorption. She says it only makes the henna easier to wash out and the hair less crunchy.
    I have yet to try it but plan to soon!

Quote Originally Posted by indigonight View Post
    my sister lives in Yemen and all the women there henna all the time, of course henna grows plentifully in the region she is in, anyway all the women also oil their hair pre-henna and so does my sister and she says that it does not interfere in any way with dye absorption. She says it only makes the henna easier to wash out and the hair less crunchy.
    I have yet to try it but plan to soon!
    That is really interesting. Oiling the hair is traditional in a number of countries and cultures before using plants and herbs. Oiling before aritha or soapnuts is another example.

What oil does your sister use before henna?