Thread: Jamila vs Yemeni

Default Jamila vs Yemeni

What is the darn difference?! Which stains stronger on dark hair?

I order from Hennasooq btw.

Thanks a bunch

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Jamila vs Yemeni

It depends on the crop; usually Yemen henna is pretty strong but I hear the most recent batch Mehandi received didn't test out to have the same high dye content it has had in previous years. Jamila brand also varies from crop to crop (Mehandi has theirs lab-analyzed to measure lawsone content). I'd suggest asking the seller about the strength of the crops they currently have and how they compare.
    My plant dye strand tests - Henna, cassia, indigo, buxus on mohair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3933575...7619485710101/

Length
    short/Butt/There
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

From my experience - Jamila stains more red, Yemeni builds up to a purplish cherry coke color, it is also kind of stringy. I use 50/50 on my hair and only do 30 minute glosses.
    I am not sure about the dye release, I freeze my mix and thaw it out when ready to henna.

My Dream Hair - My Own Hair...

Account Closed by Member Request

This article here is great at explaining the differences between the two.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

I personally found during this last year when I used jamila and yemeni personally, I found the yemeni to be more red and consistently redder then Jamila, but Jamila is very red too, just a cool red to me.
    It does vary from crop to crop, year to year for sure. The texture of the two henna powders are very opposite of each other as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Henna Sooq View Post
    The texture of the two henna powders are very opposite of each other as well.
    Yeah..I found Jamila much smoother since it's triple sifted, but the Yemeni is stringy which allows me to add more liquid without affecting the dying properties.

I love them both...if it was up to me, I'd mix the two.. Jamila's dye release is 12 hours for hair and Yemeni's is 2-3..it would be fun to see the colour results!

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Yemeni definetely sucks up liquid like it's thirsty

Some people do mix them together, mainly henna artists as far as I've known of. Yemeni used to be rougher/gritty then it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Henna Sooq View Post
    Yemeni definetely sucks up liquid like it's thirsty
    Oh most definitely...the first time I mixed up Yemeni, I added the same liquid as I would for jamila and the yemeni was like pudding. The Yemeni sat for a couple of hours....I came back and the mixture was like cookie dough! LOL

I call Yemeni "sponge henna".

Some people do mix them together, mainly henna artists as far as I've known of. Yemeni used to be rougher/gritty then it is now.
    Oooh..I'm definitely inspired to mix the two now! I'm glad the 'company' upgraded their mills...Yemeni is a lovely henna!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm going to experiment some more with both and I'll let you know how it goes.