Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon burns! OUCH!

Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Cinnamon burns! OUCH!

Hahaha ok so where do I start . I was reading through the forums and I heard a lot of great things to adding cinnamon to your conditioner. I added (don't laugh) 4 tablespoons ,to a half pint of suave coconut conditioner. I mixed it up real good , it smelt fantastic! Then applied it to my hair and scalp, a few minutes pass , and oh boy did it burn . It burnt like the venom of a thousand fiery hells. I then ran my head under cool water till it felt good lol , but now my scalp is pink :-< . Does anyone here know of a good safe amount of cinnamon to add to your conditioner ? I gotta say my hair is super soft :-> lol.
    hmm i think my next goal is mid thigh :>

Length
    15/28.5/???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Cinnamon burns! OUCH!

Don't remember off hand, I read it quite some time ago now, but maybe checking the honey lightening thread - I think they talked about how much cinnamon is a good amount to try, without causing irritation. Always good to err on the side of too little though sounds ouchy!!!!
    Hair Blog Hair Photos (mostly) No trims since May 2009

Type
    1a/M/ii

Lol it was bad but it sure smelt nice, perhaps i can use my violent concoction on the length of my hair and wrap it .

Ouch! My condolences. I don't know what would be a safe amount for you, but I've used a teaspoon in my homemade shampoo batch without incident. I use 1/3 or half a batch each time I wash, so I am guessing 1/3 of a teaspoon is a good beginner amount. Be very, very careful, though.

While we're on this subject, we should perhaps bring up cinnamon essential oil, which can cause some pretty horrific reactions too.

Length
    chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Yeah, cinnamon can be pretty volatile. Black Phoenex makes a few perfume oils with cinnamon and cassia and I can't really wear any of them. FIRE!

Type
    1a/M/ii

Hahah wow perfume cinnamon , it probably smells pretty but you are most likely better off spritzing it onto your clothing!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Condolences... Hope you get it to cool off a bit soon. (If nothing else, all that pink skin and extra circulation might be good for growth. Not that I advocate burning your scalp to get there, but I have seen people use *small* quantities of cayenne EO in scalp oil blends for the increased circulation.)

I don't know what's necessarily safe, but I suspect it's closer to 1 Tbsp/pint than 4.

I don't think you should plan on spritzing cinnamon on your clothing either, incidentally. Cinnamon has some peroxide to it (see this thread...), and you probably don't want to risk making lightened spots on your clothes.

ETA... Looked at the livejournal link. Despite what the person who wrote it says, I don't think the pictures show an allergy to cinnamon EO. Rather, the stuff just burns and irritates that much! It's generally worth avoiding getting that particular EO anywhere near skin.
    Last edited by Anje; September 22nd, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1a/M/ii

Omg you are the best! Thank you for your helpful information! <3

Type
    1b/M/ii

This same thing happened to me, my face and neck was red for a day. Is there really a safe amount to use, I think some people are just allergic to it, even small amounts irritate my skin.
    Checking in at Waist length 2012
    Next Goal= Hip length (end of 2013)

Type
    1b/M/ii

Cinnamon can be pretty nasty. I bought EO myself a while ago, and found out that it causes severe reactions, I must have spent an hour rubbing jojoba oil to neutralize the damn EO off my skin I don't think it's an allergy thing, though, it's just a very harsh product, have seen lots of people having reactions to it.
    I really like the smell of cinnamon too but I'm not sure I should use it on my scalp, EO or spice.