Thread: Patrick Cameron: Dressing Long Hair

Default Patrick Cameron: Dressing Long Hair

Has anyone bought these books? What do you think? The styles I see from him are usually formal, but maybe there are still useful tips?
    Patrick Cameron: Dressing Long Hair

Thanks, PonyTale

Length
    shldr/APL/Term

Default Patrick Cameron

Hi Ponytail,

Yes, I purchased (and have since given away) one of his books. I found that they were primarily for short hair (no longer than BS) and really needed the assistance of a hairdresser or the like. I'm also not a fan of hairspray or teasing. The books do have lovely inspirational pictures though.

KnightsLady,

That is *exactly* what I was worried about. I appreciate your thoughts...

Length
    shldr/APL/Term

Default Patrick Cameron

You're welcome, Ponytale. I was a bit disappointed actually. I read about him on the hairboutique website and became all enthusiastic about buying some of his books. I had to order the one I purchased into the country especially, as it wasn't available in Australia at the time. It was rather expensive, so I only purchased the one instead of the entire set.

I had also read somewhere that he didn't do much teasing, but just about all of styles in the book had some sort of teasing done. Perhaps it just wasn't as much as others would do

Personally, I think his books would be best suited to a hairdressing salon.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I've got one of them - I think it's book 1, but I can't remember. I think they're better for shoulder to BSL hair - I had to modify a lot of the styles because my hair was too long and I won't do backcombing. The instructions for a French roll were useful, but otherwise I didn't think the book was anything out of the ordinary.

If you're looking for a book on how to do formal updos, I'd recommend Jamie Rines Jones' Braids and Updos Made Easy over the Patrick Cameron book - there is some backcombing suggested, but it can easily be left out. The main problem I had with both of these is that they assume you'll be working on someone else's head! It's relatively easy to adapt the instructions to do the styles on your own hair, though.

Stevy

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I've got a copy of "Hair: a Book of Braiding and Styles" by Anne Akers Johnson.

It's really good, with usable styles and good advice. It's one of those 'Klutz' books, usually found on a rack in the kids section with a bunch of other how-to books by the same publisher. It comes with some scrunchies in a packet attached, but I cut mine off the bottom.

I did have the Klutz book...before a few moves ago (when I downsized the book collection) and agree it was pretty good.

I keep looking for something beyond the bun and figure eight, but many of the styles are not as pretty in my fine hair.

I may try to add some side "rolls" to styles and see what I can get. I wore a sock bun last week and people at work were fascinated. Of course, when I get busy doing these new things in the morning...I start running late!

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA
    Length
    Short/70 cm/90 cm
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Patrick Cameron: Dressing Long Hair

Yes I bought a couple of them. Very interesting looking at the hair styles.