Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Biotin better than MSM?

Default Re: Is Biotin better than MSM?

I have been taking biotin for several months and don't notice any benefits. No drawbacks either.

Length
    SL/APL/WL+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread but I've noticed that a lot of people take pretty high doses of biotin. Does it really make a difference if you take a higher dose than what's "normally" recommended? I take a multivitamin which gives 200 mcg biotin per day, I'm wondering if that's enough to make a difference for my hair or if I should take some extra biotin or hair/skin/nails-supplements on the side. At the same time I don't wanna spend lots of money on vitamins and supplements if I'm just gonna end up peeing out the excess

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlight63 View Post
    I was wondering how much mg. are you taking of the MSM & what brand?
    The one that I am taking has 1,000 mg. in it (from Vitacost, NSI brand) but I haven't noticed any change in growth or hair shed.
    The next time I buy some I think that I will change brands or maybe I should take 2 a day instead of one.

What is a good brand that you have had good results from?
    I take the Holland and Barretts one, 750mg but i sometimes take 2 a day. I should really take 2 regularly. I also always take high dose of vitamic c at the same time.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

I have been taking biotin that is 5000 mg and does not seem to make a difference one way or the other. Has been several months, would think it would be long enough to notice an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by helwa View Post
    Sorry about hi-jacking the thread but I've noticed that a lot of people take pretty high doses of biotin. Does it really make a difference if you take a higher dose than what's "normally" recommended? I take a multivitamin which gives 200 mcg biotin per day, I'm wondering if that's enough to make a difference for my hair or if I should take some extra biotin or hair/skin/nails-supplements on the side. At the same time I don't wanna spend lots of money on vitamins and supplements if I'm just gonna end up peeing out the excess
    "Country life maxi hair" is like a multi-vitamin but with a high amount of biotin and 600mg MSM if you would like to try that. I am waiting for mine to arrive. It says to take two pills daily but i decided to instead buy their "pure" biotin pills and take one of those with the maxi hair. I don't know what you normally pay, but i think that the maxi hair seems like good value

Length
    30/32/36
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Within a day or two of taking MSM, my face erupts. I've tried taking it by itself and in a multi, but I get the same reaction every time -at least 20 spots!
    Last edited by fluffer; October 27th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.

Length
    8/20/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I do know in the US the only supplement FDA approved as a biotin supplement to be bioavailable, meaning easily absorbed from the gut, is Appearex. So, if biotin is what you are taking and after 8 weeks you are not noticing a difference, then maybe switch over to the brand name and try it. sometimes it may work better as some vitamins seem to get passed through without the body absorbing most of the nutrients. just a thought....