Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2010 - Chinese bun

Default Re: September 2010 - Chinese bun

Ha! I just tried this for the first time two days ago, and yes, I also took pictures!

Here is the link to the tutorial in the articles section of this site ( http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=15 )
    ~Carrie Ingalls
    Most recent trim 5-11-2013, 8" (back to mid calf), pictures updated 10-10-2011. My sis Grace Ingalls trimmed 11.25" (her first ever haircut) to ankle at the end of March 2012.

Just a happy curly :-) curlsgalore's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Class/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Wow, it's been a long time since I did a chinese bun. I like the look of a chinese bun.

Mad Squirrely Scientist

The last time I tried a Chinese bun, it was an epic fail. My hair is longer now, so I'll give the normal and braided versions a go. I may or may not be successful.

ETA: I just tried again and I can now announce that I can actually do a regular Chinese bun! I need bobby pins to keep it together because my hair seems to want to resist being put in the bun, but it looks like how a Chinese bun should! I'm going to go try the braided one, now!
    Last edited by MissManda; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Length
    apl/tb/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

ahh, I still fail at chinese buns! I don't like starting with the ponytail so I used the chinese bun with a braided start:

my thousandth post! yay!
    Almost there!

Length
    13/fgrtp/46
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

This was the very first bun I was able to accomplish that actually stayed up. I kept it up using a scrunchie to surround it. That was about BSL.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"--Dumbledore

Account Closed by Member Request

This seems like a very sturdy bun since it starts off with a hair tie or braid! I'm definitely going to be giving this one a shot!

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rhosyn_du View Post
    This may seem like a silly question, but how do you get this bun to stay? I've tried it several times, and every time it just falls right out.
    try twisting the tail portions as you wrap them - takes a little practice but if you twist them a bit then you should only need to pin the ends, or you can use 2 additional sticks like it's a regular bun
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

The Chinese bun is a favourite of mine when I want to do something special with my hair. I was going to try a fishtail braided one this morning, but ran out of time.

Length
    2/3/30.5/33
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I just worked it out but I feel I would need some bobby pins to keep it all in place if I was going out with this. Plus I would need a smaller hair tie

I find the Chinese bun to be pretty easy -- it was the first "specialty bun" that I learned and is still one of my favorites. (OK, maybe I'll get around to taking a picture this month.)

For those wondering how to keep the ends in place, I just tuck them in with a coupld of Good Day pins. Lasts all day for me.