Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castor Oil

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Castor Oil

Has anybody had luck with Castor oil and hair loss? I'm suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis and have lost much of my hair. I want to start using Castor oil, but am hesitant to get my hopes up too much...
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    15/36/45?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Castor Oil

How did you come to the decision to use castor oil?

I think cassia is supposed to help with that, if you want to just use natural products.

Perhaps using an over the counter (Neutrogena T-gel) would be best first and then use natural products for maintenance?

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Castor oil is known to regrow hair. There are other things that can help like essential oils & Chrome Dome (see Megs method), jessie58s Recipe, monistrat, diet (are you eating enough protein), yeast problem (?), vitamins especially the B vitamins, etc.

Using castor oil, I regrew my eyebrows and eyelashes back to normal.

Last, have you checked for allergies to hair products?
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I have been using it for about a month and a half now and it dose a little bit to improve thickness and a lot to improve the moisture and overall condition of my hair (especially the dry ends). Who knows, maybe as I use it longer I will notice more thickness- I think it takes a few months to see results.

Account Closed by Member Request

I add castor oil to my hair growth oil and have also used it on my eyebrows after a wax happy accident and I must say that I did get results! My eyebrows grew back fairly fast and my hair does, too. It has to be massaged in.

From shoulder to nearly APL in 6 months.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I want to get some castor oil but im going to have to buy it online as in the past it was an old wives tale that you could use it to induce labour. As such most chemsits will sell it without prescription or even if they let you get it it usually has to be ordered in even though it was used as a laxative (new formulas have overtaken it now).

Its so annoying! I suppose online it is.

If you get good results with this could you please update? I want to know if its worth the hassle of buying

Thankyou!
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Type
    1c/C/iii

I found it good for eyebrow hair growth when I had over-plucked one year, but applying Castor oil to my scalp for 6 months made no difference to the growth rate. I did find I was washing my hair a lot more to get this sticky oil out even though I was mixing it with Coconut oil.

I don't see how it would help with seborrhic dermatitis, as you would need to be quite gentle with your scalp, I would suggest clay or mud with a high sulphur component.
    Last edited by Othala; September 1st, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Lost the power to spell
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I had seborrheic dermatitis when I was a teenager - I don't remember hair loss (in fact my hair was embarrassingly thick back then, causing me to be teased as I hadn't yet learned how to tame it), but I did have very painful cracking of the skin where my ears attached to my head.

I was prescribed a coal tar based shampoo called Genisol, I think it's still in production as it came up when I googled but mostly on Italian sites for some reason (I am in the UK). I think any similar dandruff-tackling shampoo should help - the modern ones are probably better than 35 years ago.

Re: castor oil - I bought some to try with the OCM (fail!) and then tried it on my eyelashes but found it unpleasantly gloopy, I couldn't imagine putting it on my scalp as, like someone said above, it would take a LOT of shampooing to get out which would possibly be counterproductive.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlySoprano View Post
    Has anybody had luck with Castor oil and hair loss? I'm suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis and have lost much of my hair. I want to start using Castor oil, but am hesitant to get my hopes up too much...
    As SD is characterised by infllammation it may be worth focusing on that first. I would start internally....at least with a good EFA blend including a source of gamma linoleic acid like evening primrose or borage seed oil. Topically then gentle has to be the key....an oil like jojoba or maybe a calendula infused oil might help.
    For essential oils i would stick to something gentle, lavender with some german chamomile as it helps reduce inflammation due to the chamazulene content. The lavender should also help speed up healing.
    Because of the scales essential oils may not be absorbed so easily so a longer application of the oil, at least overnight may be necessary. You could add some evening primrose oil directly to the scalp blend as it's usually very helpfull in dermatitis generally.

Castor oil is used to improve hair growth especially when hair loss is an issue but to be honest you need to address the SD and get that under control first then move on to attempting to regrow hair.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I am lookng for a recipe for a home made eye make-up remover. Since a lot of them has castor oil I was considering this ingredient. If castor oil will also make my eyelashes grow - all the better! Somehow I doubt it will happen though.
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020