Thread: Castor Oil

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Castor Oil

I have a prescription shampoo to deal with my SD

Sorry if the original post was confusing, what I want the Castor oil for is to regrow the hair that I've lost, NOT to treat the SD!
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlySoprano View Post
    I have a prescription shampoo to deal with my SD

Sorry if the original post was confusing, what I want the Castor oil for is to regrow the hair that I've lost, NOT to treat the SD!
    Well castor oil is a popular choice then, but it's best to mix it with something else as it's quite a thick sticky oil by itself.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I love castor oil. I put it on my face, just a thin film, after washing it and before it becomes bone dry. It makes my skin feel so good. The Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves spray that I use to scrunch waves into my hair has castor oil in it. I love how it gives my fine strands some weight and softness.

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    I am lookng for a recipe for a home made eye make-up remover. Since a lot of them has castor oil I was considering this ingredient. If castor oil will also make my eyelashes grow - all the better! Somehow I doubt it will happen though.

It's not safe to use on your eyelashes!!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    It's not safe to use on your eyelashes!!
    Why? Many people do this with no problems.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Yes, I want to know that too!

A recipe for eye make-up remover that you meet a lot on the internet
    is 1 part olive oil, 1 part castor oil and 1 part rapeseed oil.

What exactly is the theory behind the idéa that castor oil will cause one´s hair to grow?
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

I've been using castor oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows for years. Scratch that, for DECADES. I first started when I was maybe 11. No ill effects so far. It is a very old and well-known folk remedy for thickening and darkening hair, at least eyelash/brow hair.

From what I've read, castor oil works by swelling the individual hair strands. All oils darken hair--but that might just be an optical effect. I don't know if castor oil does anything for growth necessarily; I've never noticed any difference.

OP--if your prescription shampoo doesn't work out, you might consider giving Indian herbs a try. There is an article on them.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...le&articleid=3

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Bumblebums I never heard of this folk remedie before. I´m glad to hear you had no ill effects from using the oil on your lashes!

If the hair swells, does that mean that the ricinoleic acid, which makes up 85-90 per cent of castor oil, can penetrate hair?
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Why? Many people do this with no problems.
    Well I have used castor oil on my eye brows (it HELPED ALOT),on my eyelashes (not much progress) and on my hair (was too busy doing weird mixes on my hair to notice an effect),anyhow i just wanted to add that the theory behind castor oil being bad is because its a laxative aka makes the muscles relax,and since the skin around your eye and your eyelids are so thin it can penetrates into your eye muscles causing alot of medical issues (a woman told me before she saw a girl who suffered from squint thanks to that).I dont know how true is that,i certainely didnt suffer from it but i think it's better safe than sorry and you could always just use a good mascara right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    anyhow i just wanted to add that the theory behind castor oil being bad is because its a laxative aka makes the muscles relax,and since the skin around your eye and your eyelids are so thin it can penetrates into your eye muscles causing alot of medical issues (a woman told me before she saw a girl who suffered from squint thanks to that).
    Actually, this is not how castor oil works as a laxative. It is a stimulant laxative, meaning it causes the intestines to contract, not relax.

[ETA: also, castor oil is IN mascara. If it were dangerous for your eyes, the cosmetics companies would never put it in a product, would they? ]
    Last edited by bumblebums; September 3rd, 2010 at 05:25 AM.