Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunflower oil?

Length
    bsl/waist/elbow
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Wink Sunflower oil?

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. Anyway, I've been putting sunflower oil in my hair. I love how it makes my hair feel! My hair becomes so much less frizzy and in shiny. MY question is: Is sunflower oil as good as coconut oil for the hair? I've been researching, and I've found that sunflower oil contains linoleic acid, one of the EFA's. And it's also a triglyceride like coconut oil. But does it get absorbed into the hair like coconut oil will? The reason I ask is because I can't stand the smell of coconut oil on my hair. There's coconut oil everywhere here in the Phils. It makes me think of food and we put it on our dogs's fur. It's also used to remove dandruff, what we call "balakubak".

Does anyone also use this for their hair? Can I mix in other essential oils to make it smell nice (like lavender?) thanks!

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default Go

I am a big fan of sunflower oil. If you look in the polls section of the forum you will find 2 polls that reflect on what kind of oil you can use on your hair and people's reactions. I personally use chamomile oil which is based on sunflower oil about 30%:70% ratio. I also used avocado oil that is based on sunflower oil as well. I love the scent of coconut, but coconut oil is too heavy for my fair. Olive oil is even better on my hair, but just like you with coconut, it smells like food to me, so I rather use sunflower oil with some other fragrant oils, you can mix with essential oils es well.
    ________
    VAPORIZER MANUFACTURERS
    Last edited by Artsy; February 18th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Sunflower oil?

Quote Originally Posted by baaaad_kitty View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. Anyway, I've been putting sunflower oil in my hair. I love how it makes my hair feel! My hair becomes so much less frizzy and in shiny. MY question is: Is sunflower oil as good as coconut oil for the hair? I've been researching, and I've found that sunflower oil contains linoleic acid, one of the EFA's. And it's also a triglyceride like coconut oil. But does it get absorbed into the hair like coconut oil will? The reason I ask is because I can't stand the smell of coconut oil on my hair. There's coconut oil everywhere here in the Phils. It makes me think of food and we put it on our dogs's fur. It's also used to remove dandruff, what we call "balakubak".

Does anyone also use this for their hair? Can I mix in other essential oils to make it smell nice (like lavender?) thanks!
    It does not penetrate hair like coconut oil does. It coats the hair and is a drying oil. However, if you like it that is the bottom line. You may simply need to clarify your hair more often if you overuse it. That applies to any oil though. You should be able to mix it with essential oils without a problem.
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fixed link

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

It's a Great oil! I started using it recently and it makes my hair very smooth and shiny as well! It has ceramides which makes the hair stronger,shiner and silkier. Here is a thread from another forum on the benefits of ceramides and oils which have them.HTH!

Length
    bsl/waist/elbow
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

bummer. Is there no alternative to coconut oil then? I doubt I can find argan oil locally here

Here are 2 referenced articles on ceramides, which form a barrier on the skin or hair, whether they are synthetic or natural and the articles fit with the information on sunflower oil forming a coating on the hair and requiring clarifying, and for skin, ceramides needing to be balanced.

Ceramides: Remedy for Dry, Damaged Hair?
    "... Do note that ceramides can and often do build up on the hair shaft, so regular clarifying may be needed between conditionings. The build up associated with ceramides may also be linked to other ingredients in the product formula (i.e. oils, silicones). ... The build-up will need to be clarified regardless of the instigating ingredient to prevent moisture problems down the road. ..."

Ceramides Skin Lipids that Keep Skin Moisturized
    "... The SC contains three types of lipids -- ceramides, cholesterol and free fatty acids. ... There are nine different types of ceramides in the SC, conveniently named ceramide 1 through ceramide 9, and they account for 40-50% of the lipids in this outermost layer. ... Moisturizers with Ceramides - Not All the Same There are several moisturizers that claim to have ceramides in their ingredients, but these are just regular moisturizers unless they can show: The moisturizer also contains cholesterol and free fatty acids, The ratio of these three ingredients is correct ..."
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: adjust text

Quote Originally Posted by baaaad_kitty View Post
    bummer. Is there no alternative to coconut oil then? I doubt I can find argan oil locally here
    If you like using sunflower oil, and its effects on your hair, you do not have to stop using it. You will probably need to clarify more often than using a different oil. Coconut oil for hair can be found in most health food stores and you can buy argan oil online. Very little agan oil is needed for conditioning. Argan oil can make skin sun sensitive so it is best kept off the scalp unless you use it as a pre-treatment before conventional dye or lightening or as a pre-shampoo oil.
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Sunflower oil was the only oil I could use when I first found the boards. All other oils were too heavy and would make my hair instantly greasy. In fact, when I make up a batch of Fox's Shea Butter Cream, I still use sunflower oil as the oil part.

Yes, you can add essential oils. I like equal parts lavender and rosewood.

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Here are 2 referenced articles on ceramides, which form a barrier on the skin or hair, whether they are synthetic or natural and the articles fit with the information on sunflower oil forming a coating on the hair and requiring clarifying, and for skin, ceramides needing to be balanced.

Ceramides: Remedy for Dry, Damaged Hair?
    "... Do note that ceramides can and often do build up on the hair shaft, so regular clarifying may be needed between conditionings. The build up associated with ceramides may also be linked to other ingredients in the product formula (i.e. oils, silicones). ... The build-up will need to be clarified regardless of the instigating ingredient to prevent moisture problems down the road. ..."

Ceramides Skin Lipids that Keep Skin Moisturized
    "... The SC contains three types of lipids -- ceramides, cholesterol and free fatty acids. ... There are nine different types of ceramides in the SC, conveniently named ceramide 1 through ceramide 9, and they account for 40-50% of the lipids in this outermost layer. ... Moisturizers with Ceramides - Not All the Same There are several moisturizers that claim to have ceramides in their ingredients, but these are just regular moisturizers unless they can show: The moisturizer also contains cholesterol and free fatty acids, The ratio of these three ingredients is correct ..."
    so does it mean it's bad? and how often is clarifying needed? I made another thread weeks ago for this question but sadly i didnt get much replies. Also will shampoo bars be enough to remove the build up? or does it have to be a SLS shampoo/baking soda rinse?? (really sorry for hijacking the thread).

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can relate to the dry, brittle and unmanageable hair problem.

Our hair needs moisture, protein and now ceramides which is supposed to keep the hair smoother and shinier.

According to the LHCF post, there are several oils that contain ceramides.

It seems to me that coconut oil (or another favorite oil) mixed with one of the ceramide-type oils would help with the moisturizing and smoothing of the hair. It'll be a multi-task hair oil!

I've been experimenting with hemp, sunflower oils, etc. And my hair is much better. Knowing the reason why these ceramide oils "work" is interesting.
    Last edited by Elenna; August 29th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.