Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunflower oil?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Sunflower oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    so does it mean it's bad? and how often is clarifying needed? I made another thread weeks ago for this question but sadly i didnt get much replies. Also will shampoo bars be enough to remove the build up? or does it have to be a SLS shampoo/baking soda rinse?? (really sorry for hijacking the thread).
    No, it does not mean it is bad at all. And you are not hijacking the thread in my opinion. It simply means that it is important to understand what kind of oil you are dealing with and what it can and cannot do.

That goes for any product. The more you know, the less surprises or complications in the future because you did not know something that may have helped.

I do not know if shampoo bars can remove all of its residue. It is possible and worth a try before using something else to clarify it. How often one would need to clarify depends on how much oil is used and how much and what other products are used that can also build-up.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I use sunflower oil, but I make sure I get the high oleic type.

Some info from the Livestrong.org website:

Sunflower oil is commonly found in hair-care formulations. In fact, it is the second most common base oil used in the hair oil industry, according to the Journal of Cosmetic Science, thanks to several properties of the oil. There also are nutritional benefits in sunflower oil that can enhance hair health when people consume it.

Emollient
    Sunflower oil acts as an emollient, according to Cosmeticscop.com. Emollients are thickening and lubricating agents that have a softening effect. Emollients also prevent water loss.

Conditioning Greasy Hair
    Sunflower oil is a valuable ingredient for conditioning greasy hair, says Valerie Ann Worwood in her book, "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy." Sunflower oil helps to nourish the hair and prevent breakage, say Caroline Bunker Rosdahl and Mary T. Kowalski in "The Textbook of Basic Nursing."

Hair Oil
    Sunflower oil is an inexpensive ingredient that people can use to make scented hair oil, according to Carl Deite's "A Practical Treatise on the Manufacture of Perfumery." Since it's odorless at ambient temperature, it does not detract from perfumery formulations. For example, use 500 drams sunflower oil with 2 drams lemon oil, 3 drams rosemary oil, 5 drams lavender oil, 1 dram geranium oil, 1 dram thyme oil and ¼ dram musk tincture. A dram is about 1/8 oz.

Nutrition
    Sunflower oil contains gamma linolenic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid. Such fatty acids are essential to hair health, says Spencer David Kobren in his book, "The Truth About Women's Hair Loss: What Really Works for Treating and Preventing Thinning Hair." GLA also is effective in preventing hair loss from male and female pattern baldness as well as alopecia areata, which causes round patches of lost hair. Just 1 tsp. a day is all that's needed, Kobren says.

Type
    1b/1c/C/ii

Default Go

If ceramides coat hair in a similar way to silicones, than it makes sense that my type of hair absolutely prefers this kind of oil, because silicones are my best friends.
    I do not clarify with shampoo at all, however I am assuming that monthly henna applications remove a lot of this sort of buildup better than any shampoos that I tried in years
    ________
    Vaporizer Review
    Last edited by Artsy; February 18th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    I use sunflower oil, but I make sure I get the high oleic type.

Some info from the Livestrong.org website:

Sunflower oil is commonly found in hair-care formulations. In fact, it is the second most common base oil used in the hair oil industry, according to the Journal of Cosmetic Science, thanks to several properties of the oil. There also are nutritional benefits in sunflower oil that can enhance hair health when people consume it.

Emollient
    Sunflower oil acts as an emollient, according to Cosmeticscop.com. Emollients are thickening and lubricating agents that have a softening effect. Emollients also prevent water loss.

Conditioning Greasy Hair
    Sunflower oil is a valuable ingredient for conditioning greasy hair, says Valerie Ann Worwood in her book, "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy." Sunflower oil helps to nourish the hair and prevent breakage, say Caroline Bunker Rosdahl and Mary T. Kowalski in "The Textbook of Basic Nursing."

Hair Oil
    Sunflower oil is an inexpensive ingredient that people can use to make scented hair oil, according to Carl Deite's "A Practical Treatise on the Manufacture of Perfumery." Since it's odorless at ambient temperature, it does not detract from perfumery formulations. For example, use 500 drams sunflower oil with 2 drams lemon oil, 3 drams rosemary oil, 5 drams lavender oil, 1 dram geranium oil, 1 dram thyme oil and ¼ dram musk tincture. A dram is about 1/8 oz.

Nutrition
    Sunflower oil contains gamma linolenic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid. Such fatty acids are essential to hair health, says Spencer David Kobren in his book, "The Truth About Women's Hair Loss: What Really Works for Treating and Preventing Thinning Hair." GLA also is effective in preventing hair loss from male and female pattern baldness as well as alopecia areata, which causes round patches of lost hair. Just 1 tsp. a day is all that's needed, Kobren says.
    GLA for thinning hair is not listed here and the health benefits research results are mixed.

"... Avoid doses of GLA greater than 3,000 mg per day. High levels may increase inflammation in the body ... Pregnant women should not take borage seed oil, and possibly other sources of GLA, because they may harm the fetus and induce early labor. ... Until more research is done, health care professionals recommend not taking omega-6 fatty acids, including GLA, if you are at risk for or have prostate cancer. ..."

Sunflower oil is not recommended for breast cancer
    "... Sunflower oil (sunflower seed oil) is a dietary source of unsaturated fat (primarily the monounsaturated omega-6 fatty acid, linoleic acid), vitamin E, and some phenolic compounds. Unlike olive oil, canola oil or walnut oil, sunflower oil has not been found to be associated with health benefits such as reducing cardiovascular risk factors. Nor has it been associated with any reductions in cancer risk in population studies. ..."
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added link and text

Quote Originally Posted by Artsy View Post
    If ceramides coat hair in a similar way to silicones, than it makes sense that my type of hair absolutely prefers this kind of oil, because silicones are my best friends.
    I do not clarify with shampoo at all, however I am assuming that monthly henna applications remove a lot of this sort of buildup better than any shampoos that I tried in years
    Henna is not a conventional product build-up clarifier. From reports on henna results, henna is best used on clarified hair.

Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by baaaad_kitty View Post
    bummer. Is there no alternative to coconut oil then? I doubt I can find argan oil locally here
    I saw it at sallys the other day right on the counter in little bottles.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    GLA for thinning hair is not listed here and the health benefits research results are mixed.

"... Avoid doses of GLA greater than 3,000 mg per day. High levels may increase inflammation in the body ... Pregnant women should not take borage seed oil, and possibly other sources of GLA, because they may harm the fetus and induce early labor. ... Until more research is done, health care professionals recommend not taking omega-6 fatty acids, including GLA, if you are at risk for or have prostate cancer. ..."

Sunflower oil is not recommended for breast cancer
    "... Sunflower oil (sunflower seed oil) is a dietary source of unsaturated fat (primarily the monounsaturated omega-6 fatty acid, linoleic acid), vitamin E, and some phenolic compounds. Unlike olive oil, canola oil or walnut oil, sunflower oil has not been found to be associated with health benefits such as reducing cardiovascular risk factors. Nor has it been associated with any reductions in cancer risk in population studies. ..."
    That is if taken internally, not when used as a hair oil.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Argan at Sally's is cone serum with a drop of argan oil. My concern with sunflower oil is the potential ties with cancer in that it seems to feed the cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    That is if taken internally, not when used as a hair oil.
    That is what I was referring to. Your link was referring to its health benefits one section. What I said was, "the health benefits research results are mixed" and I did not see a listing for thinning hair in the link I posted on uses.
    Last edited by ktani; August 29th, 2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: correction

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Ok, granted, the cancer risks are with internal use. HOWEVER, it's well known that what you put on your skin can and does enter your body. That's how transdermal medication works.

My uncle took thalidomide for late stage cancer. ANY person of child bearing age in the family other than myself could NOT handle that medication AT ALL, due to the risk of birth defects. That's TOUCHING the medication, not taking it. I got to handle the medication because I myself am on category X medications so it was not a risk for me as I can not legally bear children.

For more hair related, I have increased shedding with some hair products, which means it's in the hair root, which means it's past the skin. PPD goes into your system. You use henna to dye your hair, many people report grayish urine after for a while.

If you put ANYTHING on your skin, it MAY get into your system. Which is all I need to not use sunflower oil.

ktani, do you have a list of the oils that have ceramides? The earlier link isn't working for me, sorry!