Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buns for iii hip length hair?

Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Default Buns for iii hip length hair?

Hi! Thanks to my good genes I have long hair since my childhood, with my longest was calf length with solid blunt ends, but I used to have something between knee and midtight length most of my adult life. Last year I realised that I'm not care about my hairlenght as much as before anymore and chopped to tailbone lenght for the first time. Now I'm past classic again and I want to try more "average' lenght - I think I'll try hip/lower back lenght now. But I like to wear my hair up and I'm worring that my usual braided lazy wrap bun wouldn't work with that lenght and my iii hair with very little tapering. I'm thinking about getting very slightly U-shaped hemline, but I don't think it will help much.

So, do you know is it any hairstick/hairfork buns that would hold iii hip lenght hair? Thank you!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39494&dateline=133035  1815
    The history of growing: thigh+ ~ knee ~ calf ~ ~thigh+

Default Re: Buns for iii hip length hair?

Lucky you with that gorgeous hair! I recently asked a similar question in the waist to tailbone thread, and didn't hear from many with iii hair. I think mochichichi was the one who said that gibraltar and cinnamon bun works, but the other replies was from ii hair. From what I remember, the consensus was that many buns are difficult at hip length.

I'm at hip with iii thickness, little taper, U-shaped hemline and fine hair, and find that I have to use claw clips for most bun for them to stick. Granted, I'm not a very experienced bunner. But I'm a decent braider!

Welcome to our thread if you decide to go for a hip cut!
    ✿✿✿ Last trim: 14/12/2023 ✿✿✿

Length
    Chin/43.5/Blunt
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I am a barely iii with a blunt hemline and minimal taper. I have been wearing a gibralter most days since waist; I think around hip/TBL I was using one stick with a scrunchie to keep all the ends from sticking out, but as long as you tuck in the tail (with little taper the tassle likes to poke out like a little antenna) I have found that braided buns tend to hold pretty well the entire time I've been growing so I would guess your usual style would work? But I also bun pretty tight, probably tighter than I should have when I was in the lower back region. I've been experimenting with an orchid bun which appears to work. I'm not sure if I would have been able to do it at hip, so it might not work shorter--unfortunately I didn't try it at that length. Another style I've been able to get to hold at most lengths are heidi braids (looped 1.5 times and sewn down).
    Chin~Shoulder~APL~Midback~Waist~Hip~TB~CL~[FTL]~MT~Knee~Knee+
    Pursuing my Princess Hair ♕

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

My suggestion would be to just try various buns and see if they work.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I would try bunning and leaving out the excess ends, tie a scrunchie around where the excess starts, then take out the bun and see where the scrunchie comes on your body. Then you'll know the minimum length you need to bun your hair comfortably.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I started to tentatively bun at hip with iii hair. If I were you, I'd wait. Do a log roll, something like that. But when I got to classic my buns were still too tight (and I suffered the breakage to prove it). It's just not enough hair to bun in a way that it doesn't pull. IMHO. But you don't have to take my word for it. I would split the hair, and do half-ups, half-up buns.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My hair is right on the cusp of ii and iii - 3.75" to 4" depending on my shed rate. I found that the popular stick buns like LWB and nautilus were too tight until around TBL. Before that, the stick buns I could wear comfortably were a disc bun and a braided cinnamon bun.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I would try bunning and leaving out the excess ends, tie a scrunchie around where the excess starts, then take out the bun and see where the scrunchie comes on your body. Then you'll know the minimum length you need to bun your hair comfortably.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. I did it for fun, and the minimum length for my bun seems to be around waist, which is shorter than when I first started wearing it, so good to know.

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I have never had hip length hair, so I'm more lingering in this thread for advice when I get there myself, but.

I am very doubtful that my own hair would be long enough for a braided lazy wrap bun, or any braided bun, at hip length. I'm currently almost-waist, 4", with a u-hemline and some deliberately-trimmed-in taper at the ends. I can, if I have my hair up high enough, if it's dirty, put it in a disc bun with a single wide stick (a fork makes it too tight; not sure if that's tender scalp, user error, or the nature of my forks). The disc bun works for me because it splits the hair in half to wrap, rather than trying to wrap the entire ponytail such as in a lazy wrap bun, so I actually have ends left over to wrap around the base. I suspect if my hemline were still blunt this bun would not be working so well at this length, but maybe at hip it would be fine?

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Length
    Chin/43.5/Blunt
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

You can also do the actual bun with less hair and then wrap the remainder around the base if it's a bit too short.
    Chin~Shoulder~APL~Midback~Waist~Hip~TB~CL~[FTL]~MT~Knee~Knee+
    Pursuing my Princess Hair ♕