Page 16 of 77 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis Support

Length
    chin/??/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis Support

My SD finally calmed down again. The hot dry air really does my scalp good.

I got rid of it this time using honey scrubs once a week(scalp, neckline and ears), The dark blue head and shoulders every other day and COing in between and after the medical washes.

I think I have to come to terms with the fact that I may need to use a medicated shampoo once or twice a week no matter what during season changes. Either way, my outbreak is gone for now and I am enjoying a nice happy scalp(for now!).

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I posted on an older thread - didn't see this one first.

I too have SD (self-diagnosed after years of dealing with it - grandmother had it too) and it flares and subsides just like most people report.

I too had a bad reaction to CO when I used the Sauve Coconut version, the scabs were forming within hours !

Yesterday I tried the Yogurt/Honey scalp treatment for about 2 hours then followed with a coconut oil shampoo (my thick wavy hair LOVES this method). So far so good. Scalp seems calmed and no flakes or scabs forming.

I also tried something new last week - I added some zinc oxide powder that I use for body products - to some diluted shampoo and left that on for about 10 min and followed with a coconut oil shampoo. Scalp stayed pretty good up till day 5.

Zinc oxide is amazing for controlling yeast rashes (like under the breasts etc) so I figured if SD is yeast or fungal in nature this could be a good treatment to try.

So far so good.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

PS - Might try adding zinc to the yogurt and honey for a real heavy duty treatment. Will report back.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Funny - I just noticed that on LHC my age never changes.

I have stayed the same age since I joined ... lol

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

That's interesting about the zinc.

I tried putting some cassia in my wash, and my scalp and hair were dire afterwards! My hair is only just recovering and my scalp hated it.

Length
    -Chin/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pelicano View Post
    I tried putting some cassia in my wash, and my scalp and hair were dire afterwards! My hair is only just recovering and my scalp hated it.
    Hm. Odd. Some people's hair does hate Cassia. But your scalp? Not sure.

My scalp still sucks lol. It's really annoying. I will be doing a cassia treatment on Monday or Tuesday with a sugar scrub. *sigh*
    Chin ~Shoulder~ APL ~ BSL~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

My hair hates Cassia too, dries it out, but my scalp loves Henna so a cassia rinse might not be a bad idea.

Someone mentioned trying to make tea out of it but difficult to do without whole leaves. I would just put the powder in a coffee filter and pour hot water through it. Maybe rubber band it to a cup or something first.

Length
    9/20.5/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii

wow this is all good info for us battling sd im glad i found these threads. Mine seems to be acting up again slightly after its been calm for a while only thing different is that i starting using a peppermint shampoo could that have gotten it all crabby again grrrr
    grow hair grow chin... shoulder... APL... bsl... waist...classic...

Length
    APL/MBL/HIP
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

I found since I started to CO it has calmed down dramatically. I use sulfate/paraben/CO free conditioners that are something like 97-99% natural ingredients.

ETA: *cone-free, not CO free - d'oh!
    Last edited by Gumball; August 31st, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Combined posts into ETA.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Anybody here use Castile soap for a shampoo substitute ? I think I had the best results when I used some liquid castile instead of diluted shampoo - going to go back and try it again.

Day 2 after the yogurt/honey scalp treatment and coconut oil shampoo. Scalp is pretty fair, slightly itchy with a few tiny spots but better than usual.

I think I am going to try that Catnip or maybe a Cassia tea treatment before the next shampoo and use only the castile liquid.