Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Onion juice for hair growth

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Onion juice for hair growth

This sounds like an effective contraceptive, LOL. No way am I putting onion on my scalp. Or pineapple juice, whale sperm or human urine. Sheesh...you folks.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I still think vinegar would work. I mean, if it can take the skunk smell off a dog, it would have to take the onion smell out of people's hair, right? Skunk is pretty rank.

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    This sounds like an effective contraceptive, LOL. No way am I putting onion on my scalp. Or pineapple juice, whale sperm or human urine. Sheesh...you folks.
    Pineapple juice is waaay too delicious to use on hair. Beer, however, I would do, if I didn't have firsthand experience on how tacky it makes my hair... although that night did teach me not to fall asleep near drunk people and their half empty cans of beer. lol.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Here's the thread. I had to go all the way back to the archived boards.

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

When I was a young girl I was extremely frustrated with my thin hair so I used to experiment with all kinds of hair treatments, and I got this old recipe:

Mix onion skins and cloves in grape pomace rakia
    let the mixture sit for two weeks
    Apply on the scalp every day ( don't wash out !!!) for 10 days and then wash your hair

Cloves were added in the mix to cover the onion smell, but it was AUFUL!!!

I only did this three days in a row and never tried it again, the smell was so horrible!
    Last edited by serious; August 12th, 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Better late than never !

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

There IS a recipe I tried with onion skin. You gather as much onion skins as you can, boil them for some time (it was long time ago, I can remember the exact time), and then rinse your scalp with the water. It has no smell at all, and the only thing that might be problematic is that the darker (or purple? I seriously can't remember!) skins yield weird yellowish tones. Sadly It was a hassle to get so much onion skins and boil them every time I washed my hair, so I didn't do it long enough to notice great growth of any kind.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Sometimes I wonder if some of those stinky old time recipes are a bit of a tongue in cheek joke, like sending the apprentice to the store for a left handed screwdriver.

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    There IS a recipe I tried with onion skin. You gather as much onion skins as you can, boil them for some time (it was long time ago, I can remember the exact time), and then rinse your scalp with the water. It has no smell at all, and the only thing that might be problematic is that the darker (or purple? I seriously can't remember!) skins yield weird yellowish tones. Sadly It was a hassle to get so much onion skins and boil them every time I washed my hair, so I didn't do it long enough to notice great growth of any kind.
    now that we could do. I easily run through a ten pound bag of onions weekly, and I've been known to double that if I have my way. I'll hafta look that up, thanks!

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Some people use this recipe to color Easter eggs, onion skins give very nice yellow/brown color! And I remember my friend from high school washed her hair with this onion water once, she got nice golden tone on her brown hair ( of course, it was not permanent!)

Better late than never !

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Some people use this recipe to color Easter eggs, onion skins give very nice yellow/brown color! And I remember my friend from high school washed her hair with this onion water once, she got nice golden tone on her brown hair ( of course, it was not permanent!)
    True, it's not permanent, but could definitely show if you have blond hair.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!