Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Argan oil made my hair super greasy!

Default Help! Argan oil made my hair super greasy!

Hi there!

Well, I was sooo excited to try argan oil in my hair. I used too much, let it sit in my hair over night, and now you can probably cook french fries on my head! It’s really really greasy looking. I’ve washed it twice, and did an ACV rinse…no luck!

I use Herbal Essence shampoo…..please, if you know of anything better that would get this greasy mess gone, please share!

Thanks!

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help! Argan oil made my hair super greasy!

saturate your hair with conditioner and leave it for 30mins-1 hour,it should help rinse away the oil.HTH

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yes, try the conditioner. Really glop it on there and let it sit under a shower cap for 30-60 minutes, then you can use a shower comb over your scalp as you rinse it out.

If that doesn't do it, I know for a fact that Dawn dishwashing liquid (accept no substitutes) will cut ANYTHING greasy.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Get a cheap runny conditioner like Suave, White Rain or VO5. Glop it all over your hair. Lots of it. I use 1/4-1/5 of the bottle. Cover your hair in a shower cap so you don't drip. Leave it on a while. I leave mine on at least an hour. Rinse out in the shower and you should be good to go.

I am not here to decorate your world

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Hmmm, you must have used quite a bit--I use argan oil (2 drops at a time), and haven't had any trouble with the greasies. I usually do a heavier oiling before I CO wash (sometimes I do use a 1/4 tsp. or less of shampoo mixed with conditioner), and don't have problems getting the oil out, so try that. Last resort, as spidermom said, Dawn will work, but it'll probably also dry your hair out so condition well afterwards.

Thanks so much! I really did use too much....it was hard to control it as it came out the pump. Instead of wasting it, I globbed it on, thinking the more the better. My hair looks so bad I am near tears. Well, at least it has been good for my skin; not a total waste on $50!

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I did the same thing with coconut oil a while ago. It took two good washes with SLS shampoo but it came out. I think hair builds up a resistence to oil though because now I can do the same think and it comes out fine with a small amount of non SLS shampoo. You don't have to give up on the oil completely- just start by using a small amount and build your way up over time.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

If you can get hold of a dropper bottle, you can put some oil in that and use it that way. You really don't need to use more than a few drops at a time, and it'd be a shame to waste it. A whole pumpful is just too much for hair use.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Argan oil is from Morocco so for the most part, we have to think of the hair texture of those people in that region. They are arabs and african, so they have thicker hair, and drier scalps, so argan oil is perfect for that hair type. If you have curly hair it's great for you as well, as a natural leave in conditioner. I use a dime amount at a time. and rub it through but in my daughter's hair only. Not my own, as mine is on the oilier side and I don't need extra oils in my hair. Shampoo bars add enough of that already since they are usually extra superfatted.

Either use a small amount, or make sure you use oil in your hair if your hair needs it. What is your hair type?

I have a lot of fine hair, dead straight. I use Colora henna on it, and it is usually soft and shiny, except for my ends. I thought the argan oil might help with that, but unfortunately I went all Ronald MacDonald with it on my own head!

I’m not sure if the suggested conditioners are found only in the states….I went to three different stores her in Ontario and couldn’t find Suave, White Rain, etc. This morning I left Dove cond in my hair for 45 min, rinsed it out and shampooed with Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and cond lightly after that. Still pretty greasy though, so I will try the Dawn dishshoap tomorrow. This was a lesson learned the hard way!

P.S. The dropper idea is a good one, although I am too chicken to try again. This grease will go away, yes???