Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Argan oil made my hair super greasy!

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Default Re: Help! Argan oil made my hair super greasy!

Oh you're in Ontario.

I think a good shampoo to get it out. Dawn for sure is a great dish soap.MY favorite personally for dishes. But for this situation I'd say use it on your hair and then go back to your regular conditioner.

I missed the point of using conditioner and leaving it in, as that is also a bit rich. Why did you do that? To get the argan oil out? That probably won't help. You need to shampoo it out.

Argan oil is a bit rich for fine hair, in my opinion. A lighter oil like with a coconut base might be good to put and just on the ends, where it is needed.

Account Closed by Member Request

What sort or argan oil is it? Is it 100% argan?

I second the conditioner...conditioner dilutes the oils at it readily mixes with it. Once in the beginning of my hair journey, I slopped on a cocktail of oils until my hair was saturated..suave was amazing at getting it out...I wet my hair at the beginning of the shower, apply the conditioner, shower cap it. At the end of the shower, I rinse thoroughly, shampoo and condition again. Do the conditioner thing again...it certainly won't hurt. When I do the conditioner thing, I make sure I gently work it into my hair, not just glop it on there...
    Last edited by little_cherry; August 11th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Oh wow I never realized the conditioner would dilute the oil, I thought it add more to it. I never tried as I never had a situation like this myself. Learn something new every day!

Little Cherry, you're in Ontario too right? Where did you get your suave? I am sure I've seen it at Wal Mart up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Henna Sooq View Post
    Oh wow I never realized the conditioner would dilute the oil, I thought it add more to it. I never tried as I never had a situation like this myself. Learn something new every day!

Little Cherry, you're in Ontario too right? Where did you get your suave? I am sure I've seen it at Wal Mart up here.
    Hi
    I'm in Quebec, but I've been to Ontario many times. Suave is pretty much everywhere: pharmacies, dollar stores, Walmart. There's a lovely conditioner from Walmart called "fruitkicks" that is cone-free and does an excellent job at getting oils out. It's around $4 for a liter. Smells yummy, too.

When I was making my own conditioner, I found how easy it was to just keep adding oils without the conditioner feeling greasy.. I surely remember that day I had a potential disaster on my head. My hair was only at shoulder length, but I remember it well....ahh, conditioner saved my hair from becoming a fry pan...err, deep fryer. Granted, I had to gently massage conditioner into my hair a couple of times, I'm glad I did.

Banned
    Length
    < 10"/26.75/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I didn't read this thread 'till after I'd come home from my hairdresser's this morning... but we were discussing oiling hair... and how I occasionally accidentally use too much on my very super-baby-fine and reasonably thin hair.

My hairdresser, Mary, said that the next time I do that, just try using a bit of baby powder (any kind) where it's too oily and let it sit to soak up the excess oil.

If this ^ makes your color look a bit 'off' (she says sometimes it will and other times it won't, depending upon various factors including how dark your color), Mary said, then just gently brush the powder out with a brush (a comb won't do it) that's safe for your hair (she prefers BBBs), and brushing will remove enough of the powder to retun it to looking like your usual color.

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Hi
    I'm in Quebec, but I've been to Ontario many times. Suave is pretty much everywhere: pharmacies, dollar stores, Walmart. There's a lovely conditioner from Walmart called "fruitkicks" that is cone-free and does an excellent job at getting oils out. It's around $4 for a liter. Smells yummy, too.

When I was making my own conditioner, I found how easy it was to just keep adding oils without the conditioner feeling greasy.. I surely remember that day I had a potential disaster on my head. My hair was only at shoulder length, but I remember it well....ahh, conditioner saved my hair from becoming a fry pan...err, deep fryer. Granted, I had to gently massage conditioner into my hair a couple of times, I'm glad I did.
    Oh okay. I forgot where you were. Thanks. It sounds easier to just make your own conditioner.

Thanks everyone. I tried most of these suggestions, and my hair is still greasy. I’ve tried Dove cond, clarifying shampoo, vinegar rinse, Dawn dish soap, and finally baking soda paste applied to dry hair. Today, my hair looks greasier than ever (except for the ends, which now feel like straw), and I am at a total lost. The one thing I did not do is use the suggested cond, such as Suave as the three stores I tried didn’t carry it (Shoppers, Zellers, and Walmart). I think I will go to the salon tomorrow and see what they have to say. Thanks for all the tips. My hair sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by lawchik View Post
    Thanks everyone. I tried most of these suggestions, and my hair is still greasy. I’ve tried Dove cond, clarifying shampoo, vinegar rinse, Dawn dish soap, and finally baking soda paste applied to dry hair. Today, my hair looks greasier than ever (except for the ends, which now feel like straw), and I am at a total lost. The one thing I did not do is use the suggested cond, such as Suave as the three stores I tried didn’t carry it (Shoppers, Zellers, and Walmart). I think I will go to the salon tomorrow and see what they have to say. Thanks for all the tips. My hair sucks!
    Sorry to hear....I'm curious...does that argan have mineral oil or dimethicone in it?

Make sure the conditioner that you're using doesn't have dimethicone or any ingredient ending in -cone in it....it won't help with removing oils.

Another thing you can try is mix 2 tbs of baking soda in 2 cups of water and pour it over your head and leave it on for 5 minutes...after you rinse it off, apply lots of conditioner and leave on for 60 minutes...make sure it is a cone free condish.

All the salon's going to do is shampoo the heck out of your hair....been there, done that.
    Last edited by little_cherry; August 13th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Was it pure argan oil? I can't believe that all you've done hasn't gotten it out if pure, so I'm thinking there was something else blended with it. Maybe mineral oil? That is really hard to get out. Check the bottle to see. I don't use tons of argan oil on my hair, but even with a heavy oiling I don't have any trouble getting it out with conditioner.

I don't know why Walmart wouldn't carry Suave!

Yep...as far as I believe it is 100% argan oil by Kae.

http://www.xandrarenouvelle.com/serv...-Oil%2C/Detail

I have no idea what my problem is! Today my hubby said it looks like I haven’t washed my hair in 2 days (instead of 5), so I guess that is an improvement. Feels like I am wearing a grease cap though.

While getting groceries today I stopped by the salon. The head stylist told me to just keep shampooing, but not to use ANY conditioner on the greasy areas (top of my head to ears).

Walmart didn’t have V05 stuff either…they did have the hot oil treatments, but no other product. Sometimes the US based stores don’t bring over the same goods to the Canadian ones, so I’ve been told. I always bring neat stuff back when I’ve been in the states. You guys have some great stuff (Henna N Placenta was my favourite)!