Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My year of stupid hair experiments.

Default My year of stupid hair experiments.

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a long time because I utterly failed the 6 month no trim challenge and this is my confession.

(Background info is that I have had trichotillomania since I was a child but thankfully I stopped completely 8 years ago, but I will always have obsessive hair problems lol... I originally came here years ago and grew my hair from pixie to tailbone.)

Anyway at some point during covid shutdowns, I decided to cut my own hair. I cut the unicorn method for layers, then the ponytail under chin method to get a nice thick U shape, not a tapered V. I did that several times and it always turned out great, and that's still the two haircut techniques I use. I kept it around waist length with shortest layers around apl.

But last fall I got carried away with changing my mind and to be honest I just think it's really fun to cut my own hair lol 👀

Basically in the past 8 months I cut from waist to apl totally blunt, that was the big cut.

Then I added mild layers (unicorn cut but not cutting much off).

Then I added a longish bang (unicorn cut just the bang section).

Then I decided to grow out the bangs, but I hated the step from my bangs to my other hair, so I cut back my layers short enough to match the bangs (extreme unicorn cut, you guys would've had a heart attack, I almost did) 😂

THEN from doing that, my longest length was at bsl, but so much of my hair was around chin length that it was very tapered and V shaped and I hated that. So then I cut the long V off, so it became a rounded U shape hemline at apl, and layers starting around chin which is where I'm at now.

SO BASICALLY I ended up with the same darn thing I started with and just didn't keep any growth for 8 months. 😐

So I think I need to join the monthly length photo thread to stay accountable to growing it out because that's what worked for me in the first place back in 2015-2018. It's like if I'm not super focused on a growth goal, I can't leave it alone. But at least it's just cutting, not anything damaging. No regrets, kind of just laughing at myself. I want to grow it back to waist length.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: My year of stupid hair experiments.

You have beautiful hair! I looks so healthy!
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Well, your hair looks stunning (those CURLS) and so healthy, experimentation or no good luck on your growth journey!
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    You have beautiful hair! I looks so healthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by alewyn View Post
    Well, your hair looks stunning (those CURLS) and so healthy, experimentation or no good luck on your growth journey!
    Thank you both!

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I wondered the other day where you had been off to!

Your hair looks beautiful at every length, wo. If jumping back into the monthly photo thread will help you feel like you've got accountability partners, I say do it!
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Still looks great to me, if anyone has done stupid things to hair it's me lol, all colors of the rainbow, cut back from shoulder to chin twice, shaved it off twice, got keratin treatment, used color removers 4 times in one week. So you haven't done too badly and it suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    I wondered the other day where you had been off to!

Your hair looks beautiful at every length, wo. If jumping back into the monthly photo thread will help you feel like you've got accountability partners, I say do it!
    Thanks, baanoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Still looks great to me, if anyone has done stupid things to hair it's me lol, all colors of the rainbow, cut back from shoulder to chin twice, shaved it off twice, got keratin treatment, used color removers 4 times in one week. So you haven't done too badly and it suits you.
    Thanks, it's a struggle for some of us!

Your curls look great!

Ask someone to look after your scissors if that would help I jokingly suggested that I was going to ask my friend to keep my scissors, and I didn’t need to go that far but even just having the conversation kept me accountable!

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I really love your curls! They look so healthy! Good luck on your hair growth journey!
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Very luscious curls! Totally get you on the cutting experiments Best of luck on your way to WL