Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone explain 5 strand braiding to me as though im a 2 year old?

Can I be a Guru now** Angela_Rose's Avatar
    Length
    20"/51"/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Can someone explain 5 strand braiding to me as though im a 2 year old?

If it's any consolation, dear, I learned how to four- and five-strand braid about three years ago and I *still* can't French braid with them.
    Lady Seraph of the Celestial Rose, OOTLHK.
    Achieved 53.5"/Calf, January 2016; currently at 51" and struggling to come back from a Big Shed.

Length
    -/waist/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Can someone explain 5 strand braiding to me as though im a 2 year old?

I just use the dreamweaver braiding tutorials:
    http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/5strand.htm

But because I'm an Official Hair Idiot I can't do anything but a simple three strand braid.
    I hope that helps you!
    every hour wounds, the last one kills

layered waist - almost blunt waist - blunt waist - hip - terminal..
    (hennahead)

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    grrrr
    so i have mastered doing it as just a braid - ie if i put my hair in a ponytail, but doing it french i just make a monumental muck up of it (and i can do french / dutch in my sleep)
    frannyg and vanilla you simplified it perfectly thank you!!

And thanks heaps for the link - i have watched it a million times..
    I WILL get there..
    I AM NOT going to bed tonight until i do!
    Lassie, you WILL get it, I have no doubt. I remember thinking that it was an impossible task, but eventually, once I got the fingering figured out, I did make that first 5 strand French braid. It was not easy for me, because I am really all thumbs. It just takes practice and patience. Unfortunately, even watching the best videos doesn't help you figure out the best possible fingering for you. Everyone's fingering is different.

I was serious though when I said that if you get frustrated, stop until the next day. You'll be surprised at how a fresh outlook and the gradual learning of muscle memory will change things every day.

If you can do the straight up 5 strand ponytail, then I guarantee you'll be great at doing the French 5 strand. Just be patient and don't burn yourself out with frustration, or you won't want to bother learning it anymore.