Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Hair Stay Dry in a Swim Cap?

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Will Hair Stay Dry in a Swim Cap?

My daughter is a competitive swimmer and we have never been able to accomplish keeping her hair dry. Not even with two caps. If you find something that works, let us know !!!

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

No, not really... but soak your hair with clean water first, and it helps protect the hair from the chlorine water that does seep in.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Your best bet for keeping your hair dry is 2 caps. Tuck your hair into a silicone cap, then cover that cap with an old-school, strap under the chin cap.

The chin strap really does make a difference.

Length
    17/36/Term.
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I have never been able to find a way to keep my hair dry in the pool, other than keep my head above water. *sigh*

Reminds me of a sign that was (still... this was probably mid-90s) up at a pool at a campground I stayed at-

Hippies and Beatniks MUST wear swimcaps in pool.

Length
    17/33/40
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone tried putting a baggy under the swim cap?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Michiru View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone tried putting a baggy under the swim cap?
    Urgh. Nope. It's hard enough to put it on as it is. A baggy won't seal it any better so I doubt it will help.

I contacted Speedo regarding a swim cap that would be able to keep hair dry, and they said that none of their products are meant to do it, but they might develop something like that in the future (of course!).

I used to swim 2-3 times a week, and while in the past my hair would get worse noticeably after a while, this time I managed to avoid it by damping my hair and applying EDTA containing conditioner over it (and putting a well fitting swim cap on of course). I also used it to wash my hair after swimming, and never used any kind of shampoo. My hair remained as great as always, so I swear by it.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I use a lycra and silicone swim cap and my hair still gets a bit wet. It's hard to tell how wet with chlorinated water it gets though as I always saturate my hair with clean, cool water and coconut oil it before putting my swim cap on. When I get out of the pool and take my swim caps off my hair feels warm and wet. I have also noticed that I can't really use conditioner under my swim caps as it makes them slip off too easily! I've also had trouble with putting my hair into a bun as the swim cap doesn't want to stay up. So I just leave my hair down wet it, coconut oil it, and put it under the caps. That's seems to work the best for me.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I use a regular sizes silicone swim cap, which sits pretty tight on my head and it keeps my hair dry above about ear level. So when I store the main bulk of my hair higher than that, Iīm fine. No diving though.
    I think part of the problem may be that they are never really tight around the ears and if they donīt sit deep enough in ones face and at the nape. In the areas where the rim sits on a hairy skin part the water will seep in faster.