Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Hair Length

Length
    12/18/waist
    Type
    4a/4b/C/ii/iii

Default Average Hair Length

This question has been asked before, but what is the average hair length for most people? Can anyone grow long hair?
    Lady Cirrus of the Spanning Heavens in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

It's all genetics, but I do believe most people can make it to waist length hair

Length
    I Do/n't M/esure
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jamisonlcloud View Post
    This question has been asked before, but what is the average hair length for most people? Can anyone grow long hair?
    Do you mean what is the average general length of hair, or the average length that hair can be grown to? If it's the first one then I think Armpit length is the average length, but if your referring to average maximum length then I agree with eadwine.

Length
    12/18/waist
    Type
    4a/4b/C/ii/iii

I was referring to average maximum length... I never thought about average length as far as what an individual would want to grow their hair. Thanks for the specification. I would like to have waist length, so that's about perfect for me.
    Lady Cirrus of the Spanning Heavens in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

id say most hair what is considered long where i live and is most common is probably APL but the average hair length which all can grow to (this is what i thought you meant) is waist in m opinion
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    10 in/14.5/27 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

i dont think its the 'length' thats average, i think its the anogen or 'growing' phase of hair. everyone has thier own anogen phase, but I think i've read that most everyone should be able to grow at least BSL hair...heck i hope so as thats my mini goal!!
    'You are the master of the spoken word! Once it has left your tongue you are it's slave' -Krushchev - I've opted out of the friends program - please no requests -

I would be inclined to say at least Mid back Level for the very slowest of growers, and especially for those with very kinky or curly hair, a lot of length can be hidden (so it really might be more of waist length when stretched).
    [CENTER]

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I think I read somewhere that BSL is probably the average for most people. But that was taking into account that people will actually "do" something to their hair (chemicals, coloring, and heat).
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I could be wrong, but i think too depending on a lot of things, ethnic background also plays a big part. I couldn't tell you what ethnicities can grow to what, but i do remember reading an article on it somewhere.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jamisonlcloud View Post
    Thats hard to say since hair grows on average between 3-7 (!) yrs. before it falls out (Anagen Phase). Also people have a different growing speed and if your hair grows slow and it only "lives" 3 yrs. you wont get too far. Of course the opposite would get you really far and then theres also everything in between.

I read one scientific study that stated an average head of hair will reach midback. I dont know if they considered the health of the hair since breakage f.ex. can also keep you from reaching length.

Another factor is Taper. It can be really pretty but if your hair already has 80% taper and your only at shoulderlength it will be difficult to reach a length far from that. Theres different reasons for Taper though and it can be reduced in some cases (shedding, breakage, uneven growth..)
    Some people tend towards more taper naturally and it can be very pretty on fairytale like hair

So you see many, many things that influence hair growth..I guess you will have to try